Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is an '02 f250 7.3 auto 4x4. California, I purchased the truck with 234K miles a couple of months ago. As soon as the weather cooled I started having starting problems. No cold start, no smoke. It starts fine if the block heater is on over night.

So far I have replaced all glow plugs, done the 50 cent mod, replaced the GPCM and the connectors to the GPCM.

I thought we had it fixed at one point when it started fine first thing in the morning and then the next day the problem was back.

When I turn the key on the check engine and WTS lights stay on.

I have spent hours and hours searching the net and unfortunately there is little in the forums on California trucks. I have come up with a few discussions on the EOT sensor being bad. I have read that the fancy scanners won't read if the EOT sensor is out. I have taken the truck to a Ford mechanic who has a fancy scanner and does side work. He couldn't get a reading. Hmmmm. I also had noticed my dash engine temp gauge is not functioning but I have not found anything that says the gauge is related to the EOT, is it?

Any ideas? I am getting together with the mechanic in a couple of hours.

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We also replaced the starter since it seemed a bit slow and I put new batteries in the truck the day I purchased it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
What oil are you running? I live in the mountains of Colorado, my truck HATED 15w-40 once the temps got low. Switched to 5W-40 synthetic and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Original injectors, if so they could be weak and cold weather really makes them show.

Also what kind of glow plugs did you use, regardless if motorcraft of other brand I would still ohm them out again to make sure they are good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I just got back from the mechanic. His first question was what kind of chip did I have in it. I told him I didn't know it had one. He said he could tell it did by how it felt. We went searching and found one and removed it. Funny, it shifts much smoother now. There were all sorts of funky wiring mods under the dash. He cleaned that up. There is still a weird switch hanging from under the dash that is related to the headlights. We are leaving that for another day.

The analyzer won't check the gp circuits. He suspects I may have mis-wired the new GPCM connector. I don't think so but I have the old end and I will double check. I believe it is much more likely that one of the crimp connections is bad.

I just had the oil changed and the sticker says "Chevron Delo 400 15w".

I think we made a lot of progress but I won't really know until the morning.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Like MTNSTROKE said, rotella T6 5w-40 will make a whole world of difference on cold morning starts, especially if you've got weak injectors.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I will look into changing the oil again if it doesn't start in the morning. I checked my wiring and it was correct. Does anyone know a way of checking the connections without removing the insulation?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts