Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
02 F250 / 7.3L / 4X4
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a mechanic that works at ford. He said these trucks are designed to run with motorcraft oil and that's all I should run in my truck. Why do I see a lot of you guys using different oil? Is there a drawback to using motorcraft? I've only ever used motorcraft in my truck and with 175,xxx on the clock its still running as strong as the day I bought it.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Ask the mechanic this question. Why would a motor that is designed and manufactured by Navistar be designed to run with Motorcraft oil? Ford didn't design or build these engines.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Also Ford does not make it's own oil.

·
02 F250 / 7.3L / 4X4
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, but what are the benefits to using these different oils that I read about? How much better are they really? And I read that you guys say to stick with the motorcraft oil filter, why?

I'm not trying to start an argument, just trying to learn.

·
bring the chain
1,345 Posts
Ok, but what are the benefits to using these different oils that I read about? How much better are they really? And I read that you guys say to stick with the motorcraft oil filter, why?

I'm not trying to start an argument, just trying to learn.
motorcraft filters on a 6.0 have specifics that aftermarket filters dont.

http://youtu.be/uvnTwCujBJE
http://youtu.be/h0Qxec77uIs

check these videos out

as far as oils go. heui injector use crankcase oil to fire the injectors. quality is key.

taking advantages of todays oils(synthetics,etc,etc,) will help any engine run better longer.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
Somewhere there is an oil packaging plant that has an automated line filling bottles with some brand of oil. When they change the line over to package Motorcraft oil, all they change is the bottle.

There is no reason not to use Motorcraft but there are many other brands that are just as good.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Somewhere there is an oil packaging plant that has an automated line filling bottles with some brand of oil. When they change the line over to package Motorcraft oil, all they change is the bottle.

There is no reason not to use Motorcraft but there are many other brands that are just as good.
That is basically true in most cases. A bottling contract can have a custom additive package.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It basically boils down to make sure you run a good quality oil and keep it changed.

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
It states in the manual to use Motorcraft oil or an equivalent
meaning if you use an oil with the same or better ratings your fine

I prefer full synthetic myself but the Racor made Motorcraft filters are known to be the best for our motors

·
Registered
191 Posts
I used Motor Craft in my truck I gave it 3 changes (15k), and I hated it, it doesnt hold a candle IMO to any of the other diesle oils out their. The truck started hard, I had ticking noises, and the truck just didnt feel right...

I went to Valvoline synthetic in the winter and regular Valvoline in the spring time... In my truck this oil works great 2 changes so far,,, Cheers

PS I do love motor craft oil filters

This opinion is just mine...

·
02 F250 / 7.3L / 4X4
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what's the best oil? I mostly do freeway driving. And here in northern California it doesn't get below freezing. Would a full synthetic oil benefit me? Really I'm just looking to get the most out of this truck. I change my oil every 3000 miles. I do have a lot of engine noise, but I figured it was just cuz its a diesel.

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
Beave: In Cali the temps are perfect 3/4 of the time... No really need for a 5W-40... Only if you are very anal about your 7.3L like 3/4 of Us...

You can stick with M/C 15W-40 and M/C oil Filter... You can easily go to 5K miles per OCI instead of 3K.. Freeway driving is very easy on the oil... Even though our 7.3L does abuse the oil a bit... You will get many many yrs of use from your 7.3L with this combo... Delvac 15W-40 would be my first choice then Delo 15W-40... But If you like M/C 15W-40? Use It...

My next concern would be keep that fuel filter changed every 10K to 15K miles and Keep that Air Filter Clean...

Now with all that said... My 7.3L really reacts the best to T5 10W-30 HDEO... The 7.3L is a really different animal with the 10W-30 in the crank case... It's attitude is totally different... A good different... It also responds very well to T6 5W-40.... I will never go back to regular 15W-40....

If you-yourself likes the way your 7.3L runs and performs with M/C 15W-40? Don't Change... Stick with what is working...

·
Registered
55 Posts
What difference do you see with running the 10w-30? We carry a 10w-30 diesel engine oil where I work. We don't sell very much of it. I am curious. I may have to try it.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
The dealer I go to when I'm too lazy to change my oil only puts in 5W40 synthetic. If you want a specific weight like 10W30 they'll suggest otherwise but will put it in if you insist.

·
02 F250 / 7.3L / 4X4
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the great info. Maybe I'll try something different for my next oil change. My biggest concern is how my truck will run with the abuse from the mods I have. I do plan on doing injectors and a turbo in the near future. Does that factor into the oil choice? I say my truck runs great on m/c but its not a fair statement cuz I don't have anything to compare it to.

SyN: you seem to know your stuff when it comes to oil, you say its a different animal with 10-30, is T5 the brand? Where would I find it, autozone?

·
Lubrication Addict!!
430 Posts
Here is the T5 I am talking about...

Shell Rotella Products | Shell Rotella

Walmart sells it for $16 a gallon...

I really don't know alot... I just know what I have experienced through not being afraid to try something new... Or listen to other owners... I'm not hard headed or stubborn... I share info with other 7.3L who I can trust with info as well as they trust me to be honest and non biased...

One thing many owners have used 15W-40 for many many yrs and like my father and grandfather refuse to change no matter what... Which is fine... They will never no any better... I myself do alot of research and ask many questions... I'm always curious... Thus I have many bad results and alot of good results and some outstanding results for trying something new...

The simple fact is... going outside the box just one time... will not have drastic results...If good logical sense is applied... Pouring in a HDEO 10W-30 will not have any bad effects within your 7.3L... Will you have the same results as I? I have no idea... every 7.3L is different... But I honestly think... You will feel a difference...

I'm not telling you to do it... I'm just giving you another option... Many Many UOA have proven that HDEO 10W-30 holds up to alot of abuse... such as heavy towing or working hard... There are also UOA of 15W-40 thats shows the HEUI injectors shear the 40WT down to a 30WT over time but no further... Hence the conclusion as well as many conclusions that a 30Wt just might be a good fit for the 7.3L... Now is it a good fit for you application? Only you can make that choice... All you can do is try it...

Talking about oil in these forums is really a tricky and messy subject... Every owner has his or her favorite... which is good... But many owners application is different... Is 15W-40 a perfect fit for every one of those applications? I myself think not...When there are other choices out there---->HDEO 5W-30/5W-40/10W-30/0W-40...

My only thing is don't be afraid to try a different brand or viscosity of oil...

Good Luck
SyN

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts

It basically boils down to make sure you run a good quality oil and keep it changed.
^^^ agreed, pick an diesel rated one (CI or CJ-4) and change on a regular basis with a good filter and your engine will out last your truck.

So what's the best oil? I mostly do freeway driving. And here in northern California it doesn't get below freezing. Would a full synthetic oil benefit me? Really I'm just looking to get the most out of this truck. I change my oil every 3000 miles. I do have a lot of engine noise, but I figured it was just cuz its a diesel.
IMHO no, above 20-30 15w-40 is just fine, even below that it is fine cold starts might just be a little rough. And unless you are beating the tar out of the truck you can go 5k miles on a OCI...no problem.

What difference do you see with running the 10w-30? We carry a 10w-30 diesel engine oil where I work. We don't sell very much of it. I am curious. I may have to try it.
Better cold starts....that is about it. I am running Rotella T5 10w-30 now. Next time I change (should be end of Feb, beginning of March) I will change to whatever name brand 15w-40 is on sale or cheapest at the time.

·
lets get smoking
160 Posts
just my .02 but i run amsoil full syn 5w40 in the summer and amsoil 10w30 in the winter truck seems to like that combo a lot and runs smoother and seems to have better throttle respones. also about the oil filters by motor craft they are the best filter for theses 7.3 and actually for any powerstroke, reason why is if you take your fuel filter for example ( since its easier to see on it then the oil filter) on the bottom side of the fuel filter it has a ani-drain back hole in the plastic of the filter that you will not find on any other filter on the market (note learned this in a powerstroke class ) the same goes with the oil filter. reason for the hole in the plastic of the fuel filter and the passage way in the oil filter is so that when there is air in the fuel or oil it has somewhere to go other then your injectors. i want to say there is a tab or page on fords website that has the info on why to use the m/c oil and fuel filters.

·
02 F250 / 7.3L / 4X4
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awesome, thanks guys. This is why PSN is the place to be!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts