Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2010 Custom F450 listed for sale on CL, eBay, Truck Trader and several other sites since January. I have not had any interest, questions or bites at all. I'm posting a link for one of the ads. I would love to have your opinions on possibly why nobody is even the least bit interested. I get positive comments from people almost every time I drive it. Very puzzling to me. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. https://post.craigslist.org/manage/6919606858?action=display&go=display

·
Project Shamu
2,854 Posts
That's the link to manage the post. Cant see the Ad.

·
Administrator
8,461 Posts
am going to say people buy a truck to make their own, and usually do not buy someone elses "project"

when i look at a truck, i don't care what was put into it, because i don't want pretty much any of it.

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
A F450 takes certain people to be interested in it.

Try posting it on a RV site, you might find some interest for it there

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen an F450 done up like that, and I have a theory that most other folks haven't either. As stated above, a lot of us look for stock. And also as stated above, need to reach out to a different market. That's not a work truck anymore. RV market is a good one to try, might also try modifying the CL add so it comes up in the F350 and F250 searches. Your buyer is out there, he just thinks he needs an F350 at the moment.

Just an opinion.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

·
Project Shamu
2,854 Posts
I agree the 6.4 is a problem. Not saying your truck is bad and nobody wants it, but the 6.4 has gotten a pretty bad wrap and its definitely not helping. The F450 is definitely not helping either, insurance is harder to get, registration is typically much more expensive. Etc....

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,425 Posts
Shoot I'd buy it if I had the money, or could afford the loan payments on top off my project lol. I don't think personally, that you will get a ton of interested people contacting you because of the uniqueness of it. The price too. Its not a normal daily driver type car or pickup truck that will capture a wide audience. Thats catering to a much smaller group of people, so it will naturally take longer for you to find a buyer. Just my .02

That thing is badass, and I would buy it if I feasibly could. I don't say that about 6.4s alot...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses. You all have good points. I certainly would have thought I would have found someone that doesn't have the knowledge or tools to do their own.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Once you start modifying a vehicle you will never get out of it what you have into it unless you find that one person. You also personalize that vehicle and some people may not like the style. Then you add in the 6.4 and the $35,000 for a 9-year-old 80,000-mile vehicle and you then have no one who wants to buy it. Drop the price $10,000 and you might start to get interested buyers.

·
Project Shamu
2,854 Posts
Drop the price $10k and ####, I'll buy it.

·
1,097 Posts
Mine gets no interest either.

I think I'll be buried in that truck. Stuff me in and fill 'er up with Flo-Fill.

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
Thanks for the responses. You all have good points. I certainly would have thought I would have found someone that doesn't have the knowledge or tools to do their own.
Advertise in high school newspapers around you, it might work. Round these parts we build not buy.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
So put some keywords in your add like F250 F350, E150, E250, E350, E450, RV, duramax, cummins, powerstroke, 6.4, etc this will help it show up on more searches

I can tell you from years and years of selling vehicles and parts online, if you have no interest you are not reaching the right people
(doubtful, if its posted to craigslist then it is BEING SEEN I can promise you that)
or you are priced too high.

Selling something is all about not what you think its worth but what somebody else will pay for it.
A highly specialized vehicle requires a highly specialized buyer, so it takes WAY LONGER. If you are in a hurry then you will lower your price until it sells. remove the words Amazing and Custom from the title...let them decide for themselves or put those words later in the ad.

By listing how much $$$$ you have put into the truck (over $40K!) it scares away buyers right there.... they are now thinking OMG this guy is gonna want to get his $$$ back. Instead let the pictures do the talking and just post facts about the truck. You can get into the details of the build with a potential buyer on the phone, thats when you tell them how amazing it is for the bargain price it is going for.
People looking for a F450 are going to scoot right past your add, you want to attract the people that are looking for a hopped up F250-350 and leave them feeling like yours is the best choice and they can afford a custom F450
This is a $35,000 purchase. The truck is 9+ years old, no one is going to get financed to buy this from a private party, so you are looking for a very special buyer...somebody with over $30K cash to spend.... most people who buy a truck like this will sign up for 5 years of payment and put $2000 down no problem, but to get their hands on $35,000 is just not possible. So its gonna take the right person to come along and when they do you need to grab their attention

Add critique:
Drop the word amazing, you use it too many times
Let them decide it is amazing, dream truck, head turner, etc. Not everyone who wants to buy a custom F450 wants everyone looking at them and attracting that kind of attention. Let them decide what they are going to do with the amazing custom truck...seriously I know it sounds weird but this is psychology. You are trying to tell them what you think of this build, just show off the build and let them decide if it is their dream truck or not......

You want to post the facts
DROP THE PART ABOUT WASTING YOUR TIME
Post nothing negative in your add, anything like this makes it sound like you may be hard to talk to, sick of taking random calls, etc it pushes potential buyers on to the next add. the kind of dudes with $35K in their pockets looking seriously for a truck will move right on to the next truck. You need them to stick around and decide yours is the one they need.

Your pictures are taken too high up, get down lower when taking the pics, trucks always look better this way and PICTURES are what set your add apart and catch peoples eyes
Background, as long as we are talking pictures, if the truck is so custom and so amazing maybe you should go park it in some grass or in front of a river and get some amazing pictures, instead of just on the street out front. The amount of effort put into the pictures will come across in the add.

The word Custom scares some people, to say its custom in every way can scare off some buyers, let them decide what is custom and what is not, just post the facts. (try to keep your emotions about the truck out of the add)

You have two pictures of the steering wheel form slightly diff angles, you have two pics of the drivers seat with slightly diff angles, ditch all the duplicates. Pictures are the most important part of your add.

You list all the things that were bolted on and that's awesome, it is an impressive list.
But why were they bolted on? Why are these upgrades a benefit to the new owner?
All they see is a list of $$$$ adders instead of a list of things they need.
"So we installed Amp research automatic steps that automatically lower when the doors are opened making it easier for you and your passengers to get in and out". Instead of "Amp Research steps these things are $1500+ install!!"
Nobody wants to see $$$ signs adding up, they just want to see why they need them and why they are on the truck
You see where I am going with that?
Those are some nice parts! Why do they need them? tell the story without the emotions, just cold hard facts to justify the $$$ spent, not a long list of $$$ adding up, but instead a list of parts this truck needed in order to be the right truck for your new buyer.

I see nothing about maintenance, do you change the oil? dealer? how often? This big drawback of your 2010 can be the 6.4 right? they got a bad wrap. So lets talk about how great your 6.4 is...low miles, perfect maint, new oil, new filters, new air filter, always maintained on time, mechanic checked over, never a hiccup, these kinds of things.

Your add is trying to sell a unicorn not a useful truck, you are selling something that would be parked outside a stereo shop to bring in business, not something that can tow a 5th wheel or boat every weekend....change the add until the truck is useful and not just a show piece.

Im long winded I know but Im sure you get the point and where I am going with this.
The add wording and the pictures are EVERYTHING when trying to justify the $$$ being spent.

I hope this helps, I critique my own adds ALOT too and it has worked for me.
90% of the vehicles I post for sale on Craigslist sell in the first 72 hours.... because of these things, the pictures and the price point. It is ALL ABOUT the pictures and the vehicle details...not your feelings. Keep everything negative out of the add, none of this "read the whole add first, no low balls, "don't waste my time", etc etc....only positive vibes!!) this shows you are a no BS type of truck builder who knows the facts and pulls no punches. This is who people want to buy from.....confidence without being cocky
the money you spent on this build is gone, its no big deal you are not desperate to get it back, instead you spent all this money and built this custom truck because THEY NEED it this way...

Don't come across as "I need to re coupe some $$$ so i can move on", instead its "ho humm no big deal, I blew over 40K and I already moved on and now this is up for grabs"..... that will make people come to the truck instead of run away.....

Now with that said, I would buy that sucker in a heart beat if I had the $$$, I am not scared to own a low mile 6.4!

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I come from school of hard knocks
Craigslist can make or brake you
In today's world Craigslist IS the market, forget KBB.com and Autotrader. etc...craigslist is the market. Price point and exposure, craigslist drives the market.

I sold a 96 Toyota Supra turbo with 27K miles on it for my dad in 8 hours, he got over $75K and we could have gotten more if we did not have to sell it that weekend, people were coming from all over the country to get that car. The point is if it is on craigslist with the right exposure, it will show up in searches, make it into forums and more and more people will see that truck nationwide....

I sell HIGHLY customized Explorers and Rangers on CL all the time. The quickest sale was within 12 hours, most sell in the first 48 hours, the longest took 3 months but I was not moving on my price.
Most trucks I sell go in the first 2 days!!!
It is ALL ABOUT the pictures, the wording and the price

Reactions: HilhavenFarm

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have been selling custom trucks on CL and eBay for many years with pretty good success. That's why I a was so puzzled on the F450. However I am so glad they you 410Customs replied to my thread. You really do have some great ideas and I can tell you know what you are talking about. You have made me see the the mistakes I have made in the ad. I have worked as a car and RV salesman in the past and you are dead on the money with your reply. You are so right in making the potential buyer feel a need for what you are trying to sell them. I am definitely going to take your advice and rewrite the ad. Your idea with the pictures is also right on. I'm trying to think of a good place near me that I can use to retake the pictures. Again thank you so much for your advise and input. :smile:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts