Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I recall the numbers correctly the oem receiver on my 2006 F350 claims it can handle 5k trailer weight, or 12.5k if a weight distribution hitch is used. That seems extremely low. I've only bumper pulled my open car trailer with dual 3500 axles and things have gone ok. But I may be towing a buddy's trailer with dual 5000 axles and a CCLB F250 loaded on it.

Should I be ok with my stock receiver so long as I get a beefier hitch/ball?

If I were to upgrade my receiver, could I get a alumi-duty reciever with the 3" square? Would that line up with my frame rails? Or should I just get a Class 5 curt receiver or something can call it good?

·
Registered
40 Posts
it is not the receiver, it is the mounting hardware.
think about it. you are trusting 6 bolts with over 10,000 lbs.
heavy should be 5th wheel, not bumper pull.
Yep I agree. Any heavy towing should be via gooseneck or 5th wheel. The hitch I have for my 5th wheel camper can handle up to 16k lbs. There are many other applications that can handle much more.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I mean, yeah ideally anything heavy would be with a GN or 5th, but I've seen plenty of people towing dual and triple axle bumper pull trailers with a big truck or 2 cars loaded on it no problem. Why couldn't our super duties do that? Are you saying that 24ft enclosed bumper pulls aren't a good option either?

And when you say that the mounting hardware is the questionable part, I've seen a lot reviews of the curt class 5 receiver where people say the supplied hardware is actually smaller than the OEM stuff, and they just widen the holes and reuse the OEM hardware. The curt receiver claims to be able to tow some pretty heavy loads, like 20k pound trailer weight.

·
Administrator
33,064 Posts
I disagree with the mounting hardware theory
I just changed out my 2006 receiver for a 20k Torklift unit because I tow a 14k trailer and did not want LEO issues

the 6 OEM bolts were huge and went into captured nut backing plates the replacement hardware for the torklift was grade 8 and that was a lower spec than the OEM 10.9

I think the real weakling to the OEM is the offset to clear the spare tire

·
Administrator
33,064 Posts
Torklift stated that u must use their hardware
I was about ready to open the holes in the new receiver to use the OEM bolts but to maintain their engineering so I did not but honestley it would have been a better mounting scenario

the only thing the torklift did was have you add mounting points at the side frame rails and 2 more bolts underneath

·
Administrator
33,064 Posts
my new hitch is a piece of work also

and this is all 2" stuff you can get higher ratings in the 2.5 or 3" but I got a good deal on the 2" hitch

·
Registered
884 Posts
14k and a bumper pull is asking for it to pass you

·
Administrator
33,064 Posts
Very common setup
they sell the same in a 16k Bumper
that being said it is usually the trailer at 4k itself and a minimal dump load
or the forklift for a total of 9k

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's not the hardware - it's the limits of the driver to control it when it goes sideways. It's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread already. The manufacturer recognizes this from testing in controlled but intentionally hazardous scenarios. If you want evidence, just look on youtube. That's the reason they set the rating at that weight.

·
Administrator
33,064 Posts
i do believe that some bigger toy haulers in bumper pull form may be asking for trouble even for a skilled driver

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a ruenel bumper. Hitch is apart of the bumper. It’s rated at 20k. I do pull a 24 ft bumper pull. If your worried about hardware etc just have the hitch or bumper welded on as I did. You will bend your frame before the thing falls off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I recall the numbers correctly the oem receiver on my 2006 F350 claims it can handle 5k trailer weight, or 12.5k if a weight distribution hitch is used. That seems extremely low. I've only bumper pulled my open car trailer with dual 3500 axles and things have gone ok. But I may be towing a buddy's trailer with dual 5000 axles and a CCLB F250 loaded on it.

Should I be ok with my stock receiver so long as I get a beefier hitch/ball?

If I were to upgrade my receiver, could I get a alumi-duty reciever with the 3" square? Would that line up with my frame rails? Or should I just get a Class 5 curt receiver or something can call it good?
I used to have 2004 f250, I put a curt 3inch receiver hitch and towed a 33 foot toyhauler with it. Used hardened bolts and never had a problem. The trailer loaded was 13,0000 pounds. Have a blessed day

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used to have 2004 f250, I put a curt 3inch receiver hitch and towed a 33 foot toyhauler with it. Used hardened bolts and never had a problem. The trailer loaded was 13,0000 pounds. Have a blessed day
Where'd you find a 3" receiver? The biggest I can find is a class 5 2.5". I've only ever seen a 3" on the new diesel aluma-duties

1 - 14 of 14 Posts