Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Why is my rig getting 8MPG !??

9K views 49 replies 19 participants last post by  scott2001 
#1 ·
i dont know where too look first. foot through the floor or driving mrs. daisy MPG doesnt change. about 8.5-9 . any ideas would help. i dont know a ton about diesels yet, this being my first. so thats why i dont even know where to start looking. as far as mods go, bone stock, egdge evo, 4'' cat back no muffler. napa filter. its an auto with a 6'' lift 35's thanks alot!

#9 ·
How long are you letting it idle? And that scream is normal. Just the back pressure valve closing to help warm it up quicker. You might have leaky uppipes to.

#14 ·
Driving conditions make a lot of difference. If you fire it up in the morning and let it warm up 10 min to do a 10 min drive through the city to work and back then no wonder ur getting 8mpg. But if your warming it up for 10 min to make a 30 min highway drive then something is wrong. I let mine warm up for ~7 min and then take off easy and average 15mpg in the winter with half highway and half city. All highway and i get 22mpg.

#17 ·
Well yeah if your just driving that far you are actually getting pretty good mpg. Warm it up, get some fuel, drive 50 miles on the highway and fuel up and see what it gets then. Be closer to 20 im sure

#23 ·
ya, the idling as mentioned is going to hurt your mileage, as well as the short trips.
The Evo certainly isn't helping, nor are the lift/tires.
but if you're only driving 3/4 of a mile to work, why do you care? LOL

#26 ·
Mine takes around 6 miles or so to actually get up to temp. That means 190 degrees, my heat gauge only takes about half that time to actually say its warm. I am usually in the 130 range when it shows the truck is somewhat warmed up. So don't trust your heat gauge.

I know I live in a much warmer climate, typically 30's is a cold night right now. So I would imagine it would be farther and longer to get your truck up to temp. I bet your thermostat hasn't opened for a long time LOL

You might consider hooking a timer up to your block heater and have it warm up your truck before you get up in the AM. I would think that would help a little bit.

#28 ·
Take it on a longer trip and your mileage will go up. If you're only driving 3/4 of a mile to work, most of your fuel is going towards idling (you said you run it for 10 mins before you drive).

#29 ·
lift and tires is not the problem..my brother had 36 inch tires and have 20mpg for a long time then almost overnite lost it and now he gets 10-12. i used to get 24+ highway and now im getting 10 just replaced back pressure sensor and got it up to 16 really babying it and about 14 or less normal driving, and thats with 6.5" lift and 37's. im convinced its something electrical but cant seem to find it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.