Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could swear that both the brakes and the power steering are making the same whining noise.

I have read lots of threads where flushing the power steering with ATF had fixed the problem, but not any threads about what to do on the brake side.

Could that be a fluid issue as well or do I go straight to something else?

Also, the brake pedal has a bad feel where the initial pressure (first inch) on the pedal has to be hard but after that it is a long spongy pedal.

I'm new to the truck by the way.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
76 Posts
IIRC power steering fluid/pump helps boost the brake master cylinder....don't know exactly how it works but the power steering pump sends fluid to/through the master cylinder....anyway it somehow helps braking power. I would check the PS fluid and probably flush it.....there are some good how to's just search. As far as the brakes I would flush the brake fluid as well that should get your pedal back to firm. Most people never change brake fluid...after doing it once I do it every year or two now...it make the pedal feel right.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Or maybe the master cylinder helps the power steering.....like when you are not moving and you try to turn the wheel.....someone will chime in for the no shi* answer

·
Registered
372 Posts
This is called a hydro-boost system. The power steering pump is basically a hydraulic pump that pumps fluid to the master cylinder and the steering box. Don't ask me exactly how it works, but it provides much better braking power than the vaccum boosted systems on lighter trucks. Most likely, the problem is with your power steering pump, not the brakes.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
As was said above the PWS pump works both systems. First try doing a full flush of the pump and use a top end full syn Trans fluid to fill it up with after the flush. See if that does it. Also if it been over a year since your last brake system full flush might as well do it why you are at it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all,

First post. Read these forums for a long time.

I had the same problem on my 2001. Power steering flush only bought me another couple weeks and the problems returned. I replaced the power steering pump and the steering and brakes were back to normal. Another couple weeks later the brakes are really soft and it sometimes takes a real hard stomp on the brakes to get the rig to stop. Seems like the hydroboost losses pessure but the steering is still turns like it should without any whine.

Is there anything I missed while installing the pump (I didn't bleed anything - just cranked the wheel from lock to lock with the brakes depressed).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts