Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 excursion 4wd- right now has intake/muffler delete/ coolant filter/ livewire

Soon will have- egr delete, new oil cooler, coolant flush, tstat, 5" turbo back , 3" lift with 33's on 20's

Ive got $100 to spend and would like 2-3 tunes. Im not studded and wont be unless sh * t hits the fan for some reason. Daily driver- i beat on it but dont abuse it. I tow a enclosed race trailer(8-9k) total

I want a dd and tow tune

Ive got it down to vivan, innovative, total diesel, gearhead or tsd

Help me out

Thanks
Mike

·
Swamp trash...
247 Posts
I have a few total diesel tunes and like them. Tony writes a good tune.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Gearhead

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a tow file from BRP and just got a street file from Innovative. The BRP tow needed 2 revisions to get it to where I like it, but it's pretty good in the end. The tuner was helpful and willing to revise it until I was satisfied. His prices are also the lowest around.

The Innovative street tune seems dialed in as delivered. For the street tune I was looking at ID and Gearhead. I went with ID because Gearhead mentioned that the SRL does not always work with vans. I mention this because I used to think that any Ford with a 6.0 was almost the same as far as tuning goes, but apparently this is not so. You may want to contact the tuners and make sure the files you are interested in will work with the Ex.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Eric @ Innovative Diesel runs a great shop. IDP tunes are stout and have the option of being headbolt safe. Innovativedieselperformance.com

·
Good ol boy
1,223 Posts
I don't care what Innovative or anybody says for that matter, with the way these motors are there is no such thing as "head bolt safe"....they can try to save them but these motors blow head gaskets with no programming, on stock tuning, some ppl just get lucky. If you run a so called head bolt safe file and think you can't blow your gaskets, think again.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you do not take care of your truck and do routine maintanence than yea you will blow the head gaskets. These 6.0s are by far one of the most maintanence sensitive engines around but, look at the majority of people who are blowing head gaskets. They buy an 7000+ lbs truck and expect it to be a mustang with a tuner an exhaust. If you do your supporting mods and have a conservative tune than IMO you should be fine. You cant strictly blame the motor, the owner and previous owners play a huge role in these motor failures. But this is America and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I will recommend Matt at gearhead. I just tuned my 2005 excursion and it runs great. I did the SRL with low lockup and it's perfect. I drive it easy but the power is there if needed and shifts perfect.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm running the street tune from Innovative and it made a big difference to me I power but I get the same mileage as before. I also got the extreme street tune on the tuner (SCT Livewire) but hadn't tried it because honestly the street tune is all I will ever need. When it warms up I will try it and the tow tune to see how they compare.

·
Banned
2,444 Posts

·
Good ol boy
1,223 Posts
I have tunes from all kinda vendors, innovative, gear head, quick tricks and none of the them are close to Drew's...If I had to choose a distant second it would be gear head tho....Matt will actually reply to his emails.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
185 Posts
Brp all the way ive ran em all trust me

·
Registered
7 Posts
Matt at gearheqdz was excellent to deal with and I loved its 8k tow srl+ and srlx :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts