Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets call this market research...... I know there are many rod options over 2500 bucks, crower, hypermax and so on.

Anyone make a more affordable rod? Maybe for those of us who dont need a rod thats good for 1 bajillion hp but to make a step up from forged stock rods. I would think a rod with a sub 2k price tag and strength to hold say 750hp reliably would have a good market. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I would say great market.

·
Death Row Inmate #7
1,458 Posts
the only thing i know to do would be stock forged rods and get them cryo'd. i'm probably going to send a set of stock forged rods to 300 below to be cryo'd when i build mine up. there are a few guys on here doing 600+ on stock bottom ends(stock forged rods). Really good tuning is needed to do that. Other than cryoing the stock rods your going to spend $2500+ on aftermarket rods no matter which way you look. not sure why, but that's how it is. guess it's mainly b/c there isn't much market for them, but then again they are $2500+ so i'm not in the market for them either. haha

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks like they go for around 2450... still pricey. I do understand the machine time and whatnot but believe there is room for something between stockers and the high end billets.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the only thing i know to do would be stock forged rods and get them cryo'd. i'm probably going to send a set of stock forged rods to 300 below to be cryo'd when i build mine up. there are a few guys on here doing 600+ on stock bottom ends(stock forged rods). Really good tuning is needed to do that. Other than cryoing the stock rods your going to spend $2500+ on aftermarket rods no matter which way you look. not sure why, but that's how it is. guess it's mainly b/c there isn't much market for them, but then again they are $2500+ so i'm not in the market for them either. haha
stock rods even cryo'd would make me nervous on DD over say 550hp.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Lets call this market research...... I know there are many rod options over 2500 bucks, crower, hypermax and so on.

Anyone make a more affordable rod? Maybe for those of us who dont need a rod thats good for 1 bajillion hp but to make a step up from forged stock rods. I would think a rod with a sub 2k price tag and strength to hold say 750hp reliably would have a good market. Thoughts?
machining time is what drives up the price on the billets not so much the materials.

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts
machining time is what drives up the price on the billets not so much the materials.
Between that for billets and the cost of forging dies for forged rods you'd have a hard time producing and selling a set for less than what's already out there.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Between that for billets and the cost of forging dies for forged rods you'd have a hard time producing and selling a set for less than what's already out there.
I think one could produce a billet rod much more capable than the stockers, sell them for less than what is available now and still make some money on them. Have to have an optimized manufacturing plan though.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
What about stock rods that are magnfluxed, heat treated, cryo'd, polished, and balanced. There just does not seem to be anything between that level and jumping to $2500 level.

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
Not to be the dick here, because I believe there should be an in-between myself, but in all honesty, if you are needing a set of rods, that means you are already spending ALOT of money. If it is a Powerstroke, you just as well go ahead and plan on spending some money. Just go ahead and spend the money for the billet rods and have the peace of mind. IMO

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Yes we do. We are getting ready to do another run of them.
Would you PM me a cost plz, any specs and description you have on them. Thanks

·
got fuel?
2,581 Posts
Bigger the order, the smaller the price???

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Yep the more sets that are made the more the initial costs are spread out.

·
7.3 Enthusiast
682 Posts
A company like Eagle should make a set of rods for the Powerstroke guys. They could make a decent set of forged rods that could handle 600+hp reliably and hopefully fairly cheap.

They do it with every other engine out there. Granted they are gassers but if they can build rods for those they can just build an overkill set for us diesel guys. :shrug: :poke:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts