Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to paint my grill black not sure if anyone has with the chrome grill. A body shop will be doing it. Any pics of how you guys did yours? Thanks guys

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
pretty sure you have to strip the plasti-chrome off before you paint it. easier to get an xl grille and paint it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here's mine.

Just cleaned chrome really good. Waited to dry then used Armor All's black custom shield plastidip.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
^^^^ Thats looks really good brother! I like how u did that!!
Usually the best way, 4 longevity, would b to remove the chrome b4 painting. But, if ur chrome is in VERY GOOD bond. as in no chipping or pealing in any way, then as long as U cover it properly with paint coats.. as in all edges and corners evenly U shouldn't have any issues..
That is until the chrome underneath wants 2 start giving way and separating….

·
Registered
134 Posts
^^^^ Thats looks really good brother! I like how u did that!!
Usually the best way, 4 longevity, would b to remove the chrome b4 painting. But, if ur chrome is in VERY GOOD bond. as in no chipping or pealing in any way, then as long as U cover it properly with paint coats.. as in all edges and corners evenly U shouldn't have any issues..
That is until the chrome underneath wants 2 start giving way and separating….
Thanks! Yes the plastidip sticks to the chrome really well. I'm unsure how well actual paint will stick to the chrome though.

No I'm just debating what to do with front and back emblems. Thinking about going with black with silver/ chrome writing

·
I be shufflin
99 Posts
Hey Austin, see your truck has a 2.5" icon kit but you fit 37" tires any rubbing?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I need to update my SIG. I had 37s on 9" rims with 5.5 backspacing and they only rubbed on the radius arms at full lock with the leveling kit. I now have 6.5" lift and 10" rims with 4.5 backspacing with no rubbing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both trucks look awesome! Debating on how much of the grill to paint. Just the surround or inner bars too. I'm thinking just the surround.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks! Yes the plastidip sticks to the chrome really well. I'm unsure how well actual paint will stick to the chrome though.

No I'm just debating what to do with front and back emblems. Thinking about going with black with silver/ chrome writing

I personally would either have something custom made… Or even do Urs in Black with tan lettering..? Jus an idea, Its the fist thing that came 2 mind when I read it?

I deff like wat U have done 2 her so far brother!

·
they call me tater salad
298 Posts
i peeled the chrome off with a heat gun then had to sand the rest of the glue off was real pita would never do it again but the plasti dip looks good and would probably stick better than paint

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I removed my chrome grill and bought a plain one to paint. Mine had pits and scratches and I was also worried about the paint sticking to the chrome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts