Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a post over a year ago asking people about Blackstone labs because I was looking at extended oil change intervals. I just finally changed my oil after 16,000 miles (had to add two quarts due to a leak) and a filter change at approximately 5,500 and 11,000. I still need to send my sample in for analysis to see how it did (I had three done during the life of this oil change) compared to previous samples.

Anyone else doing this? What are your results and what kind of mileage are you getting from a single change?

·
Because I can!!!
1,632 Posts
I've always been told to change it every 5k because the power strokes are so much harder on oil then others. But idk that's just what I've been told.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
That is true.
From what I've seen they usually have a higher fuel dilution level.
Also they seam to shear the oil faster.

He did say he was doing OA'S though. Long as the test come back fine, go by what they recommend. No point changing it a couple thousand miles early. (If the test say you can extend it)

I think he's just looking for other people's OCI recommendations from the OA'S.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have always compared the price of oil/filters and parts/labor and the oil/filters ALWAYS comes out cheaper.
I think you are conducting an expensive experiment, but it is your money. We all have our individual curiosities about things in life, but what you are doing s not on my list.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is true.
From what I've seen they usually have a higher fuel dilution level.
Also they seam to shear the oil faster.

He did say he was doing OA'S though. Long as the test come back fine, go by what they recommend. No point changing it a couple thousand miles early. (If the test say you can extend it)

I think he's just looking for other people's OCI recommendations from the OA'S.
Basically, yes. I'm just curious as to what mileage other people who do extended changes, based on OA, wind up changing the oil. Everything has looked in great shape until the last OA when the fuel dilution was rising a little bit, but it was within spec and they recommended another 2,000 miles. I went over a bit due to lack of funds to do the oil change. So now I'll see what it looks like, compare to earlier, and go from there. Oh, and yes, I do have an oil bypass filter.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I am with crankcase. these things run like a different truck with fresh oil.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I honestly haven't felt or even heard a bit of difference in how she runs after I changed the oil. This may be because I run the bypass filter and change the main oil filter on schedule. Even the shearing, which is one of the dreaded things with this engine, is minimal....from what I understand, it's still around a 30wt even after 16k.

But anyway, really, keep bashing, telling me not to do it, whatever, but I'm just here for anyone who DOES do extended so I can see what they have experienced. So....any of you out there or not?? lol

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
if this is bashing then you need to harden up

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,847 Posts
Hey turd!!!! What part of the country do you run that stuff?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
that's a fair question! i'm in oklahoma, so summer starts are very nice, but for about three months in the winter i really notice the difference between old & new oil!
I honestly haven't felt or even heard a bit of difference in how she runs after I changed the oil. This may be because I run the bypass filter and change the main oil filter on schedule. Even the shearing, which is one of the dreaded things with this engine, is minimal....from what I understand, it's still around a 30wt even after 16k.

But anyway, really, keep bashing, telling me not to do it, whatever, but I'm just here for anyone who DOES do extended so I can see what they have experienced. So....any of you out there or not?? lol
sorry man, didn't want to be part of steering the thread so much, i'm sub'd to hear more on it as well!
& happy for ya, wish my injectors were happy campers like yours lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cool....I'm in Massachusetts....I've been running the 15 40 year round. I was debating synthetic but can't decide if it was a good idea to used what your using up here year round. It gets cold up here. Any suggestions?

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,847 Posts
Cool....I'm in Massachusetts....I've been running the 15 40 year round. I was debating synthetic but can't decide if it was a good idea to used what your using up here year round. It gets cold up here. Any suggestions?

i'll send you a quick PM! gimme just a sec...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used to do this and change the filter and send the oil in for testing to make sure the dilution wasnt a problem every 4-5k and change the oil at 15k. I did that twice running the Conklin 15W-40 as the rep said they warranted the motor and parts if anything broke due to a lubrication issue. I never had any problems and it always came back fine from the lab. That being said, I agree with the guys here in that the 6.0 LOVES new oil so I went back to the Rotella 15-40 during the summer, 5-40 in winter every 5,000 and the truck is much happier.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if this is bashing then you need to harden up
LMAO True. Poor choice of words on my part. Definitely wasn't taking it that way. Meh....it was in the wee hours, I was at work trying to squeeze a post in. Yeah, that's my excuse! lol

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sorry man, didn't want to be part of steering the thread so much, i'm sub'd to hear more on it as well!
& happy for ya, wish my injectors were happy campers like yours lol
No worries. I was just hoping to hear a few experiences is all. Even going off topic can bring about useful info once in a while.

I used to do this and change the filter and send the oil in for testing to make sure the dilution wasnt a problem every 4-5k and change the oil at 15k. I did that twice running the Conklin 15W-40 as the rep said they warranted the motor and parts if anything broke due to a lubrication issue. I never had any problems and it always came back fine from the lab. That being said, I agree with the guys here in that the 6.0 LOVES new oil so I went back to the Rotella 15-40 during the summer, 5-40 in winter every 5,000 and the truck is much happier.
Out of curiosity, were you running a bypass filter? If so, do you remember what brand/model?

·
Registered
626 Posts
I DD 96 7.3 it just rolled 396,000 on it this past weekend...I just changed the filter/oil before I took off Friday....it had nearly 12k on it. I used to do a Blackstone Labs analysis with Rotella dino but they kept said go another 2,000 miles, I change it usually before a trip if it is near 10k miles.. I haven't done a BL OA in a few years.

This is the 2nd changed of T5, my engine does idle smoother with the T5.

I have mostly original hard parts except the fuel pump. I also use a greased up top and bottom K & N air filter. No dusting on the turbo blades yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It really all depends on what micron rating you are bypassing at. The oil doesn't break down, only the additives. We change oil because it's full of nasties that regular filtration can't take out. Reintroduction of additives with regular filter changes, assuming you are filtering at a submicronic level, and the oil can last indefinitely. That is also if the engine is operating properly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts