Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the run down.

'95 ZF5, 277K. Stock. Passes a blow by test very well.

- Bad glow plugs most likely.
- New Alliant relay.
- Leaks like crazy from the oil cooler.
- Leaks from the rear main.
- Fuel leak.. I have to pull the pump and bowl still.
- One of the injector harnesses has silicone on it from a "repair." I doubt it fixed the problem.
- White smoke obviously but I will elaborate.

Off a cold start it will idle and blow a good amount of white. Not super thick but a lot. As it gets warmer it will blow thin and just visible a few feet off the exhaust.

If I hold down the throttle it will usually stay at 2500 for a few seconds until the fuel clears up and then it will increase again. But when I do that holy crap it smokes. Like cover the driveway cannot see smoke.

If I'm driving like a normal person with normal shifts and a good operating temperature.. no smoke. On the highway.. no smoke. Good temp and get on it.. smokes like crazy.

This is not a daily.. it is a project and I have time and some money to put into it. I have lots of parts at home waiting such as rear main seal, oil cooler seal, oil and filter, MBPR downpipe, a new valve cover with the harness', and an intake. Here are my ideas regarding the smoke..

- A couple dead injectors
- The bad glow plugs
- That burnt harness
- Running it low on oil in general
- Worst case scenario, low compression

I want to put Stage 1 or 2's in the truck eventually, but I'd like to put those in along with efuel, intercooler, and a clutch all at the same time, so I just want to get it running healthy while I save. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
How cold is it where you are? Have you tried / tested the block heater? Would be worth knowing about now, so if it turns out the element is bad you can swap it when you do the oil cooler work.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Glow plugs are prime suspect #1. Esp. the burned up connectors. Fix/replace the connectors, test/replace the GPs, GPR, etc., see where that leave you smoke-wise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts