Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Moved in
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck is putting out white smoke while towing and under hard accelleration not towing. When towing it will make white puffs while cruising along.

Injectors are all seated and have been checked with a straight edge.

Blowby test: oil cap stays on top of filler tube during idle but will "hover" when I pinch off my CCV tube.

Any ideas? Getting ready to make a 4000 mile move so I need to get this figured out.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
White smoke...

Could be a turbo leaking oil, but it would be more of a whitish blue...

Injector cup could be cracked, but you would see some puking into the degas bottle...

Only under load... I would guess the "white" smoke is more like blue from the turbo, but its hard to say.

·
Moved in
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coolant looks ok. Not gaining or loosing. It's hard to tell if there is any blue tint when looking in the side mirror.

I also have some oil coming out the front of the muffler and the bottom of the downpipe connection. I thought it was from my dipstick leak but I wiped it all down yesterday. There is still oil on the front of the muffler. The inside of the exhaust tip is also gooey vice dry soot.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Sounds like a turbo to me...

·
Moved in
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I pulled the turbo, is there a way to determine if it is the culprit?

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Check your tubo for shaft play, its a real simple method to help track down the culprit.

·
Moved in
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did a compression check. Everything is between 390 and 420. There is oil in both sides of the y pipe (CCV has been re-routed for at least 4 years).

Now I'm off to start an argument in the upgrade section: Get another 38r or get something else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts