Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning all, I have a 95 super duty with a zf5. stock except for tymar intake and 3'' downpipe. I am having excessive white smoke when i fire it up and the first few miles down the road. The white smoke clears up but i had the throttle wide open to stay at 50-60 mph towing an empty deckover trailer that weighs 4200lb. I am guessing either injector is stuck open or o-ring is bad. Or the turbo o-rings are bad and or it needs to be rebuilt entirely. Can any of yall point me in the right direction as far as diagnosing what is wrong? Id rather not pull the turbo and pedestal if i dont have to! I have an Autoengenuity scanner im gonna put on it today and see what i can find.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update I only had a chance smell the exhaust which did smell sweet for a few seconds but then it smelled like fuel And burned my eyes. I noticed the coolant was low I topped it off and just from starting it and backing it into the driveway 50’ it went down passed the fill mark.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sounds like a head gasket job to me. As you are burning coolant there is only one place for it to go - through the cylinders. Check your oil too as you may have gotten coolant down there as well. Leaking head gasket may explain the wimpy running truck as well.

Cj

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought this too but found it very uncommon for a head gasket to go on a stock 7.3? Never say never.

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,359 Posts
Its more uncommon than all of the 7.3's successors for that issue to arise, but certainly not impossible. I myself have done a couple head gasket jobs on 7.3s in the past few years. Countless 6.0 jobs in between but thats besides the point....

BUT, before you go ripping those heads off, I would certainly check to verfiy if at all possible. Its very common in my experience to top off a cooling system only for it to go back down again. It levels back out a bit, spills over into areas it wasn't quite filling, so you gotta keep topping it off a few times until it stays.

No coolant smoke out the tailpipe has ever burned my eyes....only fuel. I would still suspect an injector issue. If you are able to do a cylinder contribution test (with a scanner) then that might tell you what cylinder(s) its occuring in. If it was my truck I would be pulling all 8 and just be done with it...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 95 f350 same trans and all and I recently had this same problem. It turned out to be the nut had backed off my ICP sensor and it had shifted just enough to cause the problem. I hope this helps and it's alot cheaper fix than blown hg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts