Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this 2010 F250 with roughly about 110k and Ive been chasing this occasional white (maybe even blueish) smoke for some time. Doesnt do it all the time, but when it does, dont be behind me. Total smoke screen. Only does it when the engine is under a “load”. Meaning it wont do it while in Park or Neutral. When it does it, will get a large plume when leaving from a stop and you can see it slowly diminish and even go away as more speed is gained. Continue driving and it goes away completely. It will eventually come back “unannounced” and go away again.

Of course it isnt consistent or doing it on a regular basis, so I cant take it anywhere. Ive even tried tracking it on Trip A to see if there is a pattern to it. Past few times have been 3xx, 2x, 1xx miles between resets. It isnt showing a regen when it happens either. It seems to run normal, no loss in power, no MIL. Doesnt even drive differently when it throws up the smoke screen.

I do seem to be getting some puking from the degas, but not a lot. May not even be related. I only say that, because Ive seen some residue on the bottle and other areas near it. Residue could even be from when it was in the shop getting the oil cooler replaced.

I have some videos on my phone of it happening, if thatll help anyone be able to help me.

It doesnt scream to be head gasket to me, but Im by no means a diesel expert. First one Ive personally owned. I thinking maybe EGR or EGR cooler(s).

Im going to replace the degas bottle cap to see if that stops any puking (even if there is any), it doesnt look to be an OEM Motorcraft cap. Im considering picking up a combustion gas tester too, but dont know if that will help me any.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2010 F250 with 210K has done this since nearly new. Happens on cool damp days. Others claim condensation build up in the intercooler. When i notice it I let off the accelerator for a few seconds and then accelerate again and cloud goes away...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having the same issue. 2008 F350 Dually 4x4 Lariat with 6.4L. Put a Bully Dog DPF on it thinking it was the DPF.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love it... I also did the BullyDog GT Tuner, averaging around 24-26mpg on the highway and around 18-19mpg in town as long as I keep my foot out of the turbos... no other upgrades to it. Don't want to mess with the emmission stuff, thats why I opted for the BullyDog DPF. The way I look at it I went from 10-11mpg in town and 14 at best on the highway so it is going to pay for itself quick...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh and if you do change the DPF don't forget to plug all the sensors back in... forgot the back one and well made it about a mile and truck shut down and would not run... nothing... complete silence turn key and nothing... it tripped the computer to shut down and normally you would need the dealer to reset it... the work around for that is put the key in run position (after plugging the sensors back in) crawl under truck and jump the starter. Once truck starts it sees that the sensors are back truck is back to normal :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had the EGR coolers replaced, a diesel shop around me claimed that was the problem with the smoke. It was also puking coolant a little out of the degas.

I’m definitely going to see about the Bully Dog DPF. I don’t think the OEM one is doing regens like it is supposed to.

Not sure I want to do a tuner though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The tuner makes a huge difference for fuel milage... i have mine set to Extreme and shift set at medium. Seems to give me the best fuel milage... again it all comes down to keeping your foot out of the turbos... but it is an instant noticeable difference as far as throttle responce and power. I am sure if I hot rodded it around it could stress the stock system, but I wasn't doing this upgrade to hot rod. A diesel shop said it would extend the life of my engine by running the tuner and not hot rodding it. So far I haven't had any issues with the truck other than the intermittent white smoke which was there before the DPF and tuner

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I have this 2010 F250 with roughly about 110k and Ive been chasing this occasional white (maybe even blueish) smoke for some time. Doesnt do it all the time, but when it does, dont be behind me. Total smoke screen. Only does it when the engine is under a “load”. Meaning it wont do it while in Park or Neutral. When it does it, will get a large plume when leaving from a stop and you can see it slowly diminish and even go away as more speed is gained. Continue driving and it goes away completely. It will eventually come back “unannounced” and go away again.

Of course it isnt consistent or doing it on a regular basis, so I cant take it anywhere. Ive even tried tracking it on Trip A to see if there is a pattern to it. Past few times have been 3xx, 2x, 1xx miles between resets. It isnt showing a regen when it happens either. It seems to run normal, no loss in power, no MIL. Doesnt even drive differently when it throws up the smoke screen.

I do seem to be getting some puking from the degas, but not a lot. May not even be related. I only say that, because Ive seen some residue on the bottle and other areas near it. Residue could even be from when it was in the shop getting the oil cooler replaced.

I have some videos on my phone of it happening, if thatll help anyone be able to help me.

It doesnt scream to be head gasket to me, but Im by no means a diesel expert. First one Ive personally owned. I thinking maybe EGR or EGR cooler(s).

Im going to replace the degas bottle cap to see if that stops any puking (even if there is any), it doesnt look to be an OEM Motorcraft cap. Im considering picking up a combustion gas tester too, but dont know if that will help me any.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same truck. This is a "feature". The exhaust system cleans itself when needed by injecting raw fuel into the catalytic converter, which then burns it at high temp. At low speeds or cold, you get the thick smoke.

If you run the engine diagnostics when this happens, you will see "cleaning exhaust" come up as you cycle though the test. The only solution is to head out on the freeway, get the engine hot, let the cycle complete.

Hope this helps!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts