Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 97 7.3 PSD with 139,000 miles not too long ago and was wondering what may be wrong and why the truck blows white smoke at start-up? what happens is i start the truck (it starts up fine) and there is a good size cloud of white smoke, then it continues to smoke pretty good for like 1-2 min, then there is just this faint white smoke that you can see if you look at the exhaust straight on. the truck sat for around 5 days, but it still does this even when the truck was ran the previous day (not quite as bad though). also, the truck could probly use an oil change, and it is stock. just curious whats wrong and what i should do? thanks guys

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
It sounds like you have glowplug system issues. Start with the glowplug relay. Measure the voltage drop (digital meter leads across the two large terminals on the relay) while the relay is energized (don't go by the wait-to-start light which has nothing to do with the actual state of the relay). Anyrhing more than a 0.5V drop and the relay is bad. If that shows as good then start looking at the glowplugs themselves. On each valvecover connector (there are two per valvecover, top edge front and back ... four total) the outermost pins are for the GP's (inner three are for the injectors). Measure the resistance from the GP pin to ground. Resistance should be from 0.1 to 6 ohms. If those check out good, then the batteries could be losing a bit or even the starter could be going (even though the starter can turn over the engine, just a bit slower can make a big difference! Cheers!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like you have glowplug system issues. Start with the glowplug relay. Measure the voltage drop (digital meter leads across the two large terminals on the relay) while the relay is energized (don't go by the wait-to-start light which has nothing to do with the actual state of the relay). Anyrhing more than a 0.5V drop and the relay is bad. If that shows as good then start looking at the glowplugs themselves. On each valvecover connector (there are two per valvecover, top edge front and back ... four total) the outermost pins are for the GP's (inner three are for the injectors). Measure the resistance from the GP pin to ground. Resistance should be from 0.1 to 6 ohms. If those check out good, then the batteries could be losing a bit or even the starter could be going (even though the starter can turn over the engine, just a bit slower can make a big difference! Cheers!
wow, thats a good write-up, thanks a lot

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would guess GP system. But I had the same problem with my 97 with 100k on it. Turned out to be injector o-rings. When your truck is warm and up to temp does it still smoke?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would guess GP system. But I had the same problem with my 97 with 100k on it. Turned out to be injector o-rings. When your truck is warm and up to temp does it still smoke?
not really, there is just a very faint haze, but the start-up is a cloud. it also seems to be a little rough starting considering its in the 70s outside and it was running the day before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Start with your glowplug system and go from there. Im not sure but I believe when the engine is a certain temp. the glowplugs arent used to start it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts