Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i just got this thing running a few minutes ago after it quit out of no where. ran fine up until that point.

I replaced the cps, idm, new fuel filter, checked every fuse, oil is full, hpop oil is full, putting out good fuel pressure.

now... It wont rev past 2500rpm and if i rev it that high it blows alot of white smoke. every now and then it sounds like it wants to stall too.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated. lol this is my first diesel and ive only had the truck a little under a month.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
What color is the fuel in the fuel bowl? If it is dark colored or your filter looks dark(black) then you may have bad injector o-rings. Put it on a scanner and see what the duty cycles are and psi readings on the high pressure side are and post back. You could have a bad ICP. IPR, HPOP could be going. There are many possibilities here.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fuel is good to go, i went ahead and replaced the fuel filter just because today but the old one was in good shape. ill try and get it somewhere with a scanner tuesday

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
sonds like somethin else may be goin on but you know theres also a screen in the fuel bowl that needs cleaning,on the drivers side of the bowl you will see the hole with the screen in it.you may be able to just scrape it clean but if you want take it out to clean you need to remov the fpr

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank ya. ill do that as soon as i get off work tomorrow. i guess just drain the bowl and go to town right?

its crazy, finaly got this thing running, it starts and fires over like it never has before and now another problem.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright well my buddy just brought his edge evo over so we could use the scanner it has. shower a cps code, some kind of exhuast code. cleared them ( i replaced the cps). Still did the same thing

Well we put it on the 3rd level on the programmer and the thing ran perfect. reved up past 2500, no white smoke, and idled perfect.

lol, any ideas?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
The programmer is now telling the PCM to deliver more fuel for a longer period of time which means in stock for it wasn't getting enough fuel. Sounds like a fuel restriction to some degree. The exhaust code may be the EBPV code for a clogged tube or broken sensor. When you say after clearing the codes it did the same thing do you mean that the cps code and the exhaust code came right back? If so then you still have a problem with the CPS and should be looked into more thoroughly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
both codes stayed off. the one was just a exaust back pressure code.

I had travis dykes (awsome dude) from 2L motorsports hook his computer up to it and every checked out fine.

He told me to try a diffrent idm. That maybe the one i have is better then my last but still not all there.

If not that, then more then likely injectors.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
What kind of mileage do you have on your truck? It could be injectors or injector o-rings. It most likely isn't the IDM if you changed it out and it still did it. The likely hood of two IDM's being bad is fairly uncommon.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
240k so im thinking injector time. With my original idm, the truck would not run at all. With this one its runs, but doesnt run good.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Did this just start?
When my injectors went, it had the same symptoms, but took ~3 months to develop into what you're talking about.
It sounds like your fuel pressure is low, and that's where I'd start. You mentioned in your other thread that you got 10 psi Cranking... that's not enough IMO. my broke truck does 60-65 cranking.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
from what i read thats about right but i could be wrong. and then its 55-60+ (dont know exactly bc my tire pressure gauge stopped at 55 but was maxed out) when running.

Ive only had the truck for about a month or so. Just happend out of no where. It runs now, u can just tell its not running at 100%

·
Registered
95 Posts
My truck did the same thing. Injectors were toast. First start up smoked missed ran like crap rev it up get around 2000 breaking up missing run like poop new injectors installed runs like a new truck

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello, im new here and i have a 97 doing the same thing i have a set of stage 2 sitting in my basment along with an o ring kit. the truck has 240xxx on it and the guy before had it and got the cam sensor replace and the valve cover gaskets also back pressure sensor. no oil in the fuel bowl changed fuel filter. i just dont knoe if i should just go ahead and do the orings or just throw those injectors in. i was trying to save these for my project engine..hopefuly i can get some help thanks guys. oh also it weird but wen i have my scan tool on it and try to pull codes while its running it skips and trys to shut off and some times it does shut down?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts