Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a funny thing happened tonight. I was loaded down at 15k gross and pulling through some hills with the cruise at 70. This happened twice about 20-30 minutes apart and lasted 1-3 seconds each time. The truck would downshift to hold speed up the grade and I'd feel a shudder. I just happened to check my mirror the first time it did it and saw thick white smoke, like I was rolling coal through my DPF. None of the gauges showed anything funny and it went away quick so I kept rolling. Same smoke show for round two.

My thought is that the truck was in regen prior to the downshift and it took a minute to adjust the fueling and the DPF filtered all the black out of the smoke.

The truck's still running beautifully, it just did that funny thing twice.

Opinions? Has this happened to anyone else? Does my explanation seem on track?

·
Registered
96 Posts
the same thing has happened to me. there is a tsb for ford to replace the intercooler. was the weather a little rainy or damp out and about 40?? that when it happened to me but i am still trying to get them to replace mine but it has been to cold for the right conditions. my truck is stock, is yours?? it happens to me when truck is fully warmed up, the weather conditions i said above and when climbing a long hill. hope this helps

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, just about those exact conditions and the truck is stock other than the intake and cat-back the previous owner put on.

What's the TSB say is wrong with the intercooler?

That helps a bunch, thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
i am not sure what is wrong with the intercooler, i think it was redesigned. last fall i was having a hard time getting the dealer to replace it because the conditions can't be duplicated. so i hope this spring it will happen and they will just fix it and be done. once this issue is taken care of then i want some tunes!!!! good luck

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, that does. I've got an appt tomorrow am for them to check a CEL I had, talk about that, and make sure I have the most recent software update, I'll let y'all know how it goes!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I took mine to a dealership here in Colorado after a long trip back from the Carolinas. I could make my truck puff white smoke on command after more than 30 mins cruising. Took it to the dealer and they said because mine was built after the TSB date it already had the new parts. It does not do it here in Colorado, so i don't sweat it. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nevermind, just frustrated I made an appointment to sit in the waiting room.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got a call from the dealership, CEL was for a short Regen, it has the current update, and I don't fit the TSB because my IC isn't pooling water??

Oh well, doesn't make sense to me why I'd match every detail and symptom of a TSB and not need the work done but I'm not a service manager so who knows.

They did say it was a free check though. So that's awful nice :D

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to try the dealership in AL when I get my move done and see if they'll do it.

It's fine 99% of the time but it's done it on two different occasions on highway trips in the right conditions. If it ain't right and there's a TSB I'd like to see it taken care of.

Oh well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts