Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang! Got a quagmire & need some help. I have an 01 F250SD/ 7.3 Supercab & my passenger Supercab door is stuck closed. The top half opens just fine, but the bottom won't budge. Any wisdom is deeply appreciated.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
If latches are free, brute force.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

·
Registered
3 Posts
More than likely your door latch cable has a broken plastic end on it. This allows too much play in the cable and it won't trip the latch. Ford sells a whole latch assy for big bucks or you can go aftermarket and just replace the broken plastic with new metal ends, like most folks (including me). Check out these ends on ebay .
The replacement procedure can be found on you tube in a bunch of videos. At a minimum, I would suggest doing both upper and lower cables on the bad door so you don't have to go back in there 6 months later for the one you didn't do. The best plan would be to set aside a six pack and an afternoon and do both rear doors, it isn't a hard job and will last for years.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,855 Posts
slim chance it'll help out here, but here's my situation: my driver side supercab door gets stuck, but its just in need of adjustment. i have to hold open the latch, then press into the door pretty good and it 'pops', lets go, and opens :)

but i agree,you might have a broken part! :eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More than likely your door latch cable has a broken plastic end on it. This allows too much play in the cable and it won't trip the latch. Ford sells a whole latch assy for big bucks or you can go aftermarket and just replace the broken plastic with new metal ends, like most folks (including me). Check out these ends on ebay .
The replacement procedure can be found on you tube in a bunch of videos. At a minimum, I would suggest doing both upper and lower cables on the bad door so you don't have to go back in there 6 months later for the one you didn't do. The best plan would be to set aside a six pack and an afternoon and do both rear doors, it isn't a hard job and will last for years.
I've heard there's a fix out there on the web where you cut off the plastic end & crimp a metal replacement on. Anyone heard of this or know where to find it?

·
Administrator
8,467 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/i/173287017168?chn=ps
very easy to fix.
hardest part is getting the door open to repair it.
once open, remove the door panels and then remove the cables. you will see the broken ferrule on the end of the cable. put the new one on and put it back in the door.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
https://www.ebay.com/i/173287017168?chn=ps
very easy to fix.
hardest part is getting the door open to repair it.
once open, remove the door panels and then remove the cables. you will see the broken ferrule on the end of the cable. put the new one on and put it back in the door.
Thank you so much for this link, tjctransport! I found a seller with 100% positive feedback & I will be ordering the repair kit very soon. :grin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts