Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddys truck has a whinning/moaning sound that sounds like it comes from the middle of the motor. It only happens when you get on it but he said its been doing it since he got the truck. He has a superchip but NO intake or exhaust. But he said it has been doing it since before he got the chip. It doesnt seem to effect performance but it annoying. Ow it a 02 F-250.

Any ideas?

·
Gone Broke
1,072 Posts
yupp its called a turbo :poke: sorry i had to but really it might be something to do with the turbo is my guess. super chip al he have??

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes superchip is all he has.
it does not sound like the turbo whistle it sound alot louder and deeper like something is leaking. I have never heard that sound in any 7.3 before

·
Gone Broke
1,072 Posts
not really. itd be on the firewall between the motor and body. that sounds more like a tickin noise than a whistle. maybe a boot has a creack or pen hole??

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
Boost leak at one of the boots on the "spider" can cause a pretty annoying squealing sound.

Look closely at the boots and you should be able to see "tracking" where the boost is leaking, kinda like a clean spot on what is usually oily boots/ connections. It might be worth a try to just go around and make sure ALL the clamps are tight.

The turbo can also cause this issue, if the problems persist that would be the next thing to check.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Tighten your clamps ..
This is thsound I was describing in the surge thread. Mine was just one clamp toward the air intake sid of the motor. Strange sound indeed.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
It's one of the clamps on the spyder most likely, or it could be the compressor outlet o-ring is torn.

Dave

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
it could just be compressor surge? that sound gets prett annoying, for that you would just need to put a WW in place of the stock compressor wheel.

·
<-- GO BRONCOS
965 Posts
it could just be compressor surge? that sound gets prett annoying, for that you would just need to put a WW in place of the stock compressor wheel.
Surge does not sound like whinning. Surge is a loud "pst, pst, pst" sound.

·
Registered
257 Posts
hell if could be the powersteering pump...when it does it is it hard to turn the wheels? mine did the same thing it was just low on fluid

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mine does this too, but only at WOT. almost sounds like a roots blower whine.. Im gonna check my clamps. I only see 21-22 psi at WOT, and I guess I should see 25+ ???

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Mine sounded like a roots blower at wot just before the compressor wheel started to touch the compressor housing.I stoped driving it right away and rebuilt the turbo.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Boot clamps leeking sounds more like the brass section of an band warming up, or rumblrstrips on the highway. Haven't heard a torn boot or turbo contact yet.
But I would imagine a journal bearing going out makes some racket.

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Check that turbo out. My turbo was surging too back when it was wining-like I said my thrust bearing was gone(just a nub).I saved the turbo just in time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Check that turbo out. My turbo was surging too back when it was wining-like I said my thrust bearing was gone(just a nub).I saved the turbo just in time.
PLEASE EXPLAIN..

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
PLEASE EXPLAIN..
I dont think he really knows what he is talking about...surge has nothing to do with this thread, and surge doesnt whine. And if his thrust bearing was gone the turbo wouldnt be saveable

·
riverjet
459 Posts
I dont think he really knows what he is talking about...surge has nothing to do with this thread, and surge doesnt whine. And if his thrust bearing was gone the turbo wouldnt be saveable
Maybey I don,t.....I kinda stupid.Hopefuly one day I will be as smart as you. After I got my chip,I drove around with my turbo surging for about three weeks and started to loose boost and the truck started to sound like it had a blower on it.I then inspected the turbo only to find alot of end play in the shaft.I Then pulled the turbo and rebuilt it. The thrust bearing was pretty thin.I now have about 60k on the rebuild.Sorry for trying to help with suggestions...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts