Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which type of lockers do ya'll recommend? Wife wants to get me some truck stuff for Valentines and Anniversary coming up. Should I put lockers in both the front and the rear or just one or the other? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Detroit in the back, arb air locker in the front.

·
We put the FU! in FUN
1,625 Posts

·
Reloading
429 Posts
How dose the detroit handle in the wet and snow? I had a CJ5 that had a Detroit (so said the guy I bought it from) and it would get squirrelly in the corners in the snow? I want to drop a sellectable locker limmited/locked but I don't think anyone makes one. The next best thing is an ARB.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
ARB in both. Cant beat the open for daily driving and less tire wear. Then its Full Lock with the flip of a switch.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Trutrac both ends, just need to use your head.

·
Reloading
429 Posts
I'm totally high jacking here, but I've got no issues running a ratcheting locker. But as for now the truck is my DD that my wife drives as much or more than I do. And we're moving back to ND in the next year or so. I don't want her driving something like that in the snow and ice. That's why I've been wanting a selectable, limited/locked. But no one makes one for the 10.5. I might just do an ARB out back.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I don't mean to steal the thread but how much more agressive is the detroit true track over a factory "limited slip" I have driven RWD all my life and have no problems with going sideways but my LSD is going out and i'm getting sick of the 1 tire fire, is the true track the answer for me or is it going to be hopping under power around corners?

·
Registered
667 Posts
my buddy has it and its very nice. Locks great quiet and no hopping when turning. I truely feel its th best of both world for a great price.

·
Registered
360 Posts
with a detroit in the rear and it being locked all the time, do you notice excessive tire wear?

·
Registered
987 Posts
With a true Detoroit Locker, it's not locked all the time. When you turn a corner with *moderate to low* power applied to the ground it'll put the power to the inside wheel and you'll hear a click-click-click as the outside wheel ratchets past. That's why some call them a ratcheting locker. The new Detroit SofLocker works the same way, it just doesn't click loudly.

When you put the power down or are driving in a straight line it acts like a full spool, locking both rear axles. No excessive wear in a straight line because both wheels would be turning at the same speed anyhow, but if you gun it in a corner it'll lock up, the truck will 'jump' as it locks and you'll see some additional wear (if you do it a bunch) because the outside wheel must turn faster than the inside - but they're locked to the same speed so the inside it spinning while the outside is rolling. If that makes sense. If you drive normal through corners with moderate to light power applied, the outside wheel will ratchet past the inside wheel and there will be no excessive wear.

A locker is a big difference to an LSD. Find someone that has one and ride in or drive it if you can. I've run lockers in my TA for a while, both old-school and the new SofLocker and they both have the same manners, one's just loud when it clicks, the other's real quiet.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Detroit Locker, they're just not meant for the average grocery-getting driver.

·
Registered
360 Posts
With a true Detoroit Locker, it's not locked all the time. When you turn a corner with *moderate to low* power applied to the ground it'll put the power to the inside wheel and you'll hear a click-click-click as the outside wheel ratchets past. That's why some call them a ratcheting locker. The new Detroit SofLocker works the same way, it just doesn't click loudly.

When you put the power down or are driving in a straight line it acts like a full spool, locking both rear axles. No excessive wear in a straight line because both wheels would be turning at the same speed anyhow, but if you gun it in a corner it'll lock up, the truck will 'jump' as it locks and you'll see some additional wear (if you do it a bunch) because the outside wheel must turn faster than the inside - but they're locked to the same speed so the inside it spinning while the outside is rolling. If that makes sense. If you drive normal through corners with moderate to light power applied, the outside wheel will ratchet past the inside wheel and there will be no excessive wear.

A locker is a big difference to an LSD. Find someone that has one and ride in or drive it if you can. I've run lockers in my TA for a while, both old-school and the new SofLocker and they both have the same manners, one's just loud when it clicks, the other's real quiet.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Detroit Locker, they're just not meant for the average grocery-getting driver.
thanks for that explanation. and i apologize for not being clear earlier, when i asked if there was excessive tire wear i did mean while turning.

one more question, what is the difference between say 28 spline differential and a 31 spline differential?

Would this be what im looking for?
http://www.jegs.com/i/Detroit-Locker/357/915A550/10002/-1

·
Registered
987 Posts
It depends on how many splines your axles have. I had 31-spline axles in my 9". Not sure what's stock in these rears.

That's a trutrac, which is really just a mechanical LSD. No clutches to wear out because they're all gears in the inside. They drive nice, like a slightly looser clutched LSD.

·
Registered
153 Posts
arb front and rear is the way to go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wampaku: Have you had any issues with your arbs in the rear. I was reading that some people experianced air line issues with their ARBs

·
Registered
278 Posts
i have a tru trac and like it good street manners . no chirping of the tires while cornering

1 - 20 of 28 Posts