Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Which Truck?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  globaldude 
#1 ·
Hey guys! New member here :)

I currently have a 2013 F150 Eco Boost. Ive been using it to tow my 7000lb car hauler trailer and I can tell that its straining the truck some. I do plan on adding another 5-600lbs worth of weight on the trailer, but now I’ll be approaching the max tow capacity of about 7900lbs.
With that said, Im in the market for a F250. The big debate, Gas or Diesel? You would think that a big truck should be diesel, but Im not sure if that’s the case in my situation. I’m eyeballing several 2013-2016 models with low miles between 12k-40k for both engines. Im sure in the future I may get a travel trailer, BIG maybe, but now its just my 7k lb trailer. Whats the pros and cons of going with either engine? And which would better suit my needs?

#4 ·
Also long or short trips? We pull more with our heavy half chevy 6.0 gasser than most do with their diesels. But our trips are normally shorter. A gassers not always a bad option. And they are way cheaper to maintain and purchase outright.

#6 ·
If you was hauling everyday and longer trips I would say diesel all the way. But realistically speaking the newer model trucks you don't gain fuel mileage like you use to. The 7.3 was the most consistent motor out there you could average 16-18mpgs loaded or empty. The comparable Gas motor would drop in the single digits. These days that's not the case so really gas may be better for you.

#7 ·
I've had both gas and diesel truck for pulling loads ranging from 5k-12k lbs. All my diesel experience comes from the four 7.3s I've owned so my perspective may be a little tainted.

The diesels (IMHO) I've had seem to pull better compared to the gas trucks I've pulled with. I suppose it comes from the diesel's greater lower end torque. The diesels have stayed in the double digits mpg's while the gas motors dropped into the single. I'm sure someone else can chime in and add more but... Bottom line for me - I've been happier with my diesels' performance over gas motors when it comes to pulling loads.

#8 ·
7.3 usually don't have much difference is mileage. I prefer diesel hauling too. But with only say 100 miles a week hauling your not gonna make the difference in mileage up. What the gas motors making now? Like 10 miles more on the gallon unloaded? So from a cost aspect it's hard to argue. But for comfort, diesel all the way.

#9 ·
Floridaguy mentioned he was thinking about getting a big travel trailer. I've been down that road before. One of the mistakes I made was buying a truck (Chevy 1500) then had to scale down the trailer to fit the truck's towing capacity. I didn't like the truck's towing performance and we (the wife) didn't like that we had to get a smaller camper. I finally did it right by buying an F350 dually, though I wasted a lot of money along the way trying to find the right truck to camper combo.

BTW Floridaguy - Fifth wheels are so much more stable on the road than travel trailers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.