Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
All Terrains can be great tires on a dry trail or on a snowy road, any other dirt/mud action, get a good Mud terrain tire.

·
Banned
338 Posts
He's very wrong, the bfg ats I had sucked I'm the mud compared to my dynapro mts
BFG's suck in mud because it's a non-directional tire... The tread has no direction once so ever.

There are way better A/T tires out there than the BFG... Even a medalist sport king AT is directional (great cheap tires when you can find them BTW). I think the Procomp extreme A/T is about the best A/T on the market IMO...

Regardless your friend is stupid... On up there with the new guy at work saying he's making 540HP AT THE WHEELS in his 7.3 with a DP tuner, 4 inch straight pipe and a K&N "Cold air intake"... IMO, anyone running a K&N on a diesel cannot be taken seriously when it comes to talks of power enhancing modifications in regards to diesels.

·
Registered
472 Posts
BFG's suck in mud because it's a non-directional tire... The tread has no direction once so ever.

IMO, anyone running a K&N on a diesel cannot be taken seriously when it comes to talks of power enhancing modifications in regards to diesels.
Speaking of "cannot be taken seriously"

ANY all terrain tire will not do well in mud, because it's an "all terrain" which is tire industry speak for "most dry terrains and not too deep snow". The tread pattern on an AT is to tight for mud. Without having the tread blocks set far enough apart, the tires can't throw the mud out of the tread when spinning. They just pack up and you can't get no bite.

It has NOTHING to do with the tread being "directional" or not.

Yes, there are directional tires out there that perform well. It is NOT a must for a mud tire to be directional.

·
scouts out...
246 Posts
I think you have your answer. If you wanna play in the mud get a dang mud tire on there, however I disagree with the others who suggest that your friend is an idiot, in fact it's standard genius type stuff. Wanna have the best truck in the mud? Buy mud tires and tell all your friends how they suck and that they should get at's instead. Now you got the baddest truck among your friends and it didn't cost anything but a set if mud tires and afew stories to get everyone else on at's.

·
New F250 Smoker....
51 Posts
I used 12:50X35 BFG MT's on our 4X4 Early Bronco for years and these Trailcutter Radial M/T's are as good for all around use as BFG's MT's or better... but they do not come in BIG sizes is the only problem. They do come ready for studs if needed.

For mud events and such use buy a bigger wider tires... but for crawling, wheeling and general use for the small size they rock! They stick as good as my larger BFG's at 4X4 events we have went to in Colorado.

Attachments

·
New F250 Smoker....
51 Posts
Yep!:whs:

They do not self clean very good at all unless you spin them real hard in some kinds of sticky mud... and then still maybe not. A friend had them on his Early Bronco and almost got stuck a small hill when they packed with snow.... I was on BFG MT's and had no problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts