Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

which programmer?

476 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  dixieland-diesels 
#1 ·
I have an early 99 7.3, 150k miles that is bone stock. I use it to pull my stock trailer(upwards of 10,000lbs of cattle in the trailer) and around the farm in general. I am wanting to get a code reader for it, but I thought if I am spending the money, I might as well get a programmer as well. I am getting the bug for a little more power. Any suggestions? I do most of my own work, I have had this truck 5 yrs, 2 old ford 7.3 IDI before this and numerous diesel tractors. Thanks in advance!!

#3 ·
welcome, look into chips tuned by beans or tony wildman or swamps, all these chips are reprogramable so if you decide to play around with mods like injectors or turbos you can have the chip retuned to get the most power out of your mods. Ive bean looking into having beans tune my chip after i get injectors do to the simple fact that hes bin geting some nice numbers on the dyno with his tuning:ford:

#4 ·
Thanks for the quick responses. I googled the TS chip tuned by swamps. Looks good, but would I just get a code reader at the parts store for trouble shooting purposes?

#6 ·
Sometimes its cheaper to buy a used piece of crap programmer(ex.Edge)for pulling & clearing codes than to buy a code reader.

#5 ·
yes i would either do that or if i were you and had the money i would look into a scan guage and a full guage set up and i would go with the guys they listed herd a lot of good things about them and ther probebly gona tell you to get intake and exuast and guages before the chip so you can get the most out of the chip before heavier mods like injectors turbos and such

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.