Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey PSN!

Im not to familiar with what oil to use for diesel. I drive a 2005 250. And one cause of my job I can be at a place that is -40 one month and the next month be at a place that is 80. I don't think my truck has ever ran synthetic. Can I switch to it now? What would be the benefits? Any help is much appreciated!

-Taylor

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
I recommend Rotella 5W40 to all my side business customers... avoids ####ty start-ups in the cold and easier starts. Wal-mart has it the cheapest.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CTC. Is it synthetic? Will that oil be ok for the hot weather as well?

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
Hey PSN!

Im not to familiar with what oil to use for diesel. I drive a 2005 250. And one cause of my job I can be at a place that is -40 one month and the next month be at a place that is 80. I don't think my truck has ever ran synthetic. Can I switch to it now? What would be the benefits? Any help is much appreciated!

-Taylor
IMHO the biggest advantage of synthetics are cold starts...you can go back and forth between synthetics and conventional as much as you want. Since you have such a HUGE swing in temps sounds like a 5w40 would suit you well. The big thing to watch with a 5w40 is shear... 6.0s tend to beat the oil up pretty good. Shear is noting to get get too excited about, oil loosing a little top end weight without an increase in wear is NBD but if left unchecked can cause problems.

Thanks CTC. Is it synthetic? Will that oil be ok for the hot weather as well?
Yes it is a group three synthetic (IMHO group three vs. group four is almost at over rated as CI-4 vs. CJ-4, really nothing to get all worked up about) and a very good oil for the $. Yes it is still a 40wt oil at operating temp so it will provide similar protection as a 15w40.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMHO the biggest advantage of synthetics are cold starts...you can go back and forth between synthetics and conventional as much as you want. Since you have such a HUGE swing in temps sounds like a 5w40 would suit you well. The big thing to watch with a 5w40 is shear... 6.0s tend to beat the oil up pretty good. Shear is noting to get get too excited about, oil loosing a little top end weight without an increase in wear is NBD but if left unchecked can cause problems.

Yes it is a group three synthetic (IMHO group three vs. group four is almost at over rated as CI-4 vs. CJ-4, really nothing to get all worked up about) and a very good oil for the $. Yes it is still a 40wt oil at operating temp so it will provide similar protection as a 15w40.
Very helpful! Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts