Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BigRed02
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what you guys think about a limited slip choice.
I currently have an open axle and have looked at Ford, Eaton, and Auburn.
They all look pretty good but I can see that Fords will wear out, The cone types are not rebuildable.
Anybody had good or bad luck with your installs?
Thanks
Spencer

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
338 Posts
Truetrac is a really nice locker. I don't hear guys breaking them other than in high HP drag/sled pulling environments and rock crawling/mudding.

·
BigRed02
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That one looks good Zmann.

The helical is probably the best choice. After reading about the mech lockers I was worried about clunk and bang, and the LS choices were a little overwhelming. It's Affordable too! Summit has em in stock for my 10.5" rear. I'm assuming I have the 35 spline in my 2000 F350...
Y'all think this is something a home mechanic could handle?
Thanks...

·
Administrator
33,162 Posts
ya if u were pulling the Detroit no spin might be better but it may clunk and behave a little strange ( from what i read recently )

i wouldn't set up my own even though I have all the tools

if you screw up you can wreck the carrier /locker/ring and pinion and I have seen the axle housing wiped out as well not to mention the tow bill

I would be inclined to buy the locker from a shop and have them install and warranty everything and if you were contemplating a gear change of course now would be the time

·
BigRed02
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gotcha, so I best not screw it up!
Yeah I don't feel I need a locker that bad. I do occasional off-roading for the trout fishing trips and a good Posi set should work just fine.

·
BigRed02
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I've read everywhere I look. It's a must have now.
I found a few videos for the install, it looks like as long as I can press the bearings on, and properly check for lash, then it's pretty straight forward.
I'm sure halfway into it I'll wish I had it done at a shop, but usually that happens with most other big projects I dive into.
Summit shows it for around 600 for my 10.5" Sterling.
Any of you guys have another source that may be cheaper?

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I have no idea what their price is, but Randy's Ring and Pinion usually has good prices.

I have a local guy who usually beats anything I can find online. You might check with local shops and see what they can do.

·
New F250 Smoker....
51 Posts
I agree with many here that the Detroit Truetrac is a great diff. I have many years experience with it and a Detroit Soft Lockers in Early Bronco's.
My take:

If you use it in winter weather (ice, snow, mud and also rain at times) It's hands down the best! It's helical-gear style posi needs very little pressure (ie: traction at the tire/surface) to disengage the axle in turns on slippery traction conditions, on or off road. It's now the only type I use in the rear out hunting in Montana.

I had used a Detroit Soft Locker since it came out for rock crawling in So. Cal. and Colorado with no bang and boom of the old Detroit Lockers and it's a great strong unit! I built a guy a Early Bronco and after talking to EB guys in Oregon that run in snow and ice a bunch I setup his EB with a Truetrac in the front and rear.

When I went to Montana hunting with him I saw how good it was in the rear alone! I found out real soon why all the ranchers, hunters and just regular drivers love it so much. It's almost invisible to the driver in those conditions and is very easy to turn around on a hill! Try that with a full rear locked truck in ice, snow or a muddy hillside!

I like that it has almost no wear compared to any clutch or cone posi. For hardcore rock crawling it is not as strong under high traction conditions as a full locker but I still use it under those conditions and have not broken mine yet.... (fangers crossed) One thing I will say that is does suffer the same way as any posi if only one tire has traction somewhat but not as bad with the newer units as much.... (I'll explain if you need it)

If you don't use your truck much in those conditions or crawling I think I would still call it the go to diff.... But that's my opinion only...
Good Luck!
My hunt'in buds EB I built him in Montana below. No that's not Elmer Fudd standing there!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.