Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
forgive me if this a stupid question, but what is the difference in dougs intake and the one from rudy's? or are they pretty much the same thing?

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
That is actually a very good question because it may not be obvious. I believe the difference is that the one from Rudy's is just a ported stock manifold that has had its ports machined to help with airflow. However the tubes that the manifold bolts go through are still there. Whereas, with doug's intake, he machines the bolt tubes from the manifold as well as the ports and adds a cover to each side to seal the manifold. hope this helps and makes sense.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. it helps alot trying to plan my build for next year and trying to learn as much as possible about what i need to get and where from.

·
1,549 Posts
Yea I would definitely and actually plan to get my manifold from Doug and the reason is because he actually removes the restrictions in the manifold and provides data for his product.

·
1,549 Posts
Not sure you can.

·
1,549 Posts
I think lenzhotrod was referring to info like doug provides for his intake and I dont think Rudy provides that info unless I missed something.

·
mmmm...beer....
418 Posts
I hadn't seen the Elite manifold yet. Thanks for the link Ivan. It looks like the lids are welded on and you bolt it down through the holes on top? What plugs the holes? Pipe plugs?:confused:

One benefit of Doug's intake is having a little more room for twins in the valley. Tough to tell, but Elite's might be the same way.

·
1,549 Posts
The thing that I think I dont like about Elite's version is that they dont get rid of the bolts which block some of the airflow. It appears that Doug's intake uses short bolts to attach the manifold to the heads and then some more short bolts to attach the top of the manifold to the manifold. I say by looking at his pictures. I havent contacted doug or talked to anyone with his manifold.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
The thing that I think I dont like about Elite's version is that they dont get rid of the bolts which block some of the airflow. It appears that Doug's intake uses short bolts to attach the manifold to the heads and then some more short bolts to attach the top of the manifold to the manifold. I say by looking at his pictures. I havent contacted doug or talked to anyone with his manifold.
The manifold is held down with shorter bolts on the inside of the runners. The lids are held down with dome head bolts threaded into the runners.

I added the GOGO after the PowerMax increasing the spooling/flow quite nicely.

·
Stroke it B!tch
964 Posts
Is there a way that we can get all 3 of them compared side by side I know gogo's doubles the CFM to the rear of the manifold. But how about the rest?

·
1,549 Posts
The manifold is held down with shorter bolts on the inside of the runners. The lids are held down with dome head bolts threaded into the runners.

I added the GOGO after the PowerMax increasing the spooling/flow quite nicely.
Well it is nice to hear how it is working for someone. Do you notice if your boost levels are lower at cruising speed while on flat ground with this intake??

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
It really depends on OAT. For the warmer temps my setup runs 4-6 PSI @ 60+ HWY EGTs run under 700*F. Currently with the cooler mornings at 50* or less it's running more like 7-9PSI @ 60+ HWY EGTs running under 625*F easily.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
How do you know they block flow?

To me, it looks like they are using short bolts inside the manifold, and you just cap the holes with pipe plugs...just be careful not to drop one of the bolts down an intake runner....that would suck.

But at least after the install, there would be no possible leaks from o-ring gaskets...

Just to add...my gogo intake never leaked boost at all, and it had 80 psi going to it at one time. (It held better then the Black Onyx head gaskets...:doh:)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Doesn't Rudy sell Elite's manifold?

Have a look at Elite's...it looks alot like the Gogo manifold, but the top is welded back on afterwards.

www.elitedieselengineering.com - PortedIntakeManifold

The manifold in the photo on Rudy's site is definetly not the same as the Elite manifold.

I would like to see some pics of inside the Elite manifold before the covers are welded on.

Also the guys that need to keep the EGR cooler in place for emissions testing would still be able to use the manifold from Elite.

·
mmmm...beer....
418 Posts

To me, it looks like they are using short bolts inside the manifold, and you just cap the holes with pipe plugs...
That's what I was thinking as well. Judging by the size of the holes in the lid, they simply milled straight down through the bolt bosses, then cut the lid off. I dunno.

just be careful not to drop one of the bolts down an intake runner....that would suck.
lol that was the first thing I thought when I saw that.

It would be nice to see some flow numbers for that Elite manifold. For the money they want they'd better be willing to share if they are pitching this as a viable alternative to Doug's. It doesn't appear that it has near the hours put into it as Doug's does.

I think it's safe to say the Rudy's manifold isn't even in the same ballpark, flow wise.

·
1,549 Posts

To me, it looks like they are using short bolts inside the manifold, and you just cap the holes with pipe plugs...just be careful not to drop one of the bolts down an intake runner....that would suck.

But at least after the install, there would be no possible leaks from o-ring gaskets...

Just to add...my gogo intake never leaked boost at all, and it had 80 psi going to it at one time. (It held better then the Black Onyx head gaskets...:doh:)
Well if the bolts are in the way of the flow of air, then they would block the flow somewhat, but after looking at it more closly it is probably as you described as that makes more sense.

I personally like how it looks Doug's seals vice putting in all of those pipe plugs. JMO.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
If you read Rudy's states "Elites manifold". It looks like it is an Extrude hone manifold. Does Gogo offer a ported manifold with out EGR removal? It looks as if Elites still has EGR function.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts