Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking on getting DDM tuning hids and I'm trying to decide on 35w or 55w.. What are y'all guys using I'm wanting to go with 6000k in the 35w or 8000k 55w and 35w fogs..just wanting y'all's input thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
POWER Junkie
330 Posts
DDM tuning 35w kit with wiring harness here for about 200k trouble free miles.
Guys I know with the 55w kits have troubles across most all brands.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok we'll I was wonder about the 55w I had a set of single beam 35w but weren't very bright but I think I may do 35w in the fogs and that should help..I just didn't know if there was much advantage in the 55w kits..thanks for the input guys!

·
POWER Junkie
330 Posts
Get the 35w hi/low beam kit. That is if you have a dual beam stock bulb. That's what I run and it works pretty well.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
POWER Junkie
330 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Retro solutions 55w kit. 6000k is my favorite color. Best money I've ever spent on lights. I had them on my old 7.3 with 05+ lights

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I have the 05 lights in mine also..I guess different brands might get hotter than others

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
4500 or 5000 color temp is more in the visual range of the human eyeball. The human eye is the most sensitive to light at 3300 degrees so the higher the temp, the less you actually see. Higher temp ones produce more glare, higher the temp, the worse it gets due to more scatter due to the shorter wavelengths of the higher temp lights.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Would like to get some HID projectors in a clear stock housings. So far run PIA bulbs in stock housings better than stock bulbs but still lacking large. I do run a bunch of auxilliary lights (VisionX) in 35 and 50 watt HID and LED 10 and 25 watt and they are wicked. Latest is 25 watt LED 4.5" Canons on the wife's Honda Pilot very bright, instant on, multiple covers. Waiting for their new 6.7" 50 watt LED canons to come out later this month, should be really nice if anything close to the 4.5" canons.

j

·
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em.
145 Posts
I'll grab a picture soon, I just switched to 05 lights in my 99. Running 55w digital brand HID from retro solutions in both the headlights and fogs. 6k. Anything over 6k gets pretty blue as opposed to white. Don't want to be running around looking like a ricer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I retrofit my headlight housings with HID projectors and I'm very pleased with the light. When it comes to the ballast rating, I'm using 50 watt ballasts. At times I think they are to bright, but at other times I absolutely love them. What I mean by this is that when I'm on a dark stretch of road with my low beams on and another car to close to have the high beams on, it is extremly bright until the cutoff line. Above the cutoff appears very dark due to the amount of light below the cutoff. All of that being said, if I don't have to worry about blinding someone...the high beams are awesome.

When it comes to the temperature ratings on the bulbs, I'm currently running some 4300K (a slight yellow tint, kinda like halogen) bulbs. Originally I had 5000K (pure white). I liked the 5000K until I got into the snow and ice. Those combined with the ballasts made it difficult to tell where ice patches started and stopped. Not to much later I decided to try the 4300K bulbs, and I'll never look back again. I have no problems seeing where the ice starts and stops. In addition to that, as someone already stated, there is a slightly higher light output from the lower kelvin rated blubs.

The other thing that you might want to consider is the aiming of your lights. With my application, I have to aim downward a bit since there are quite a few cars around that are low to the ground. I don't want to blind everyone just so that I can see better.....so I kinda wish I could see further with my low beams. However, I have found a remedy to that problem. I have a second set of projectors laying around that I'm going to mount lower (that way I won't have to aim them downward). I'm really looking forward to the first time I get to have all four lights on at once.

Hopefully this helps you out a bit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Beware of ddm. Have got 3 sets of hids from them over the years, my latest ones were 9007s for my 02. Instead of coming from California, it took 3 weeks and they came directly from China. Not a big fan of China stuff, but that's not what got me. The 3 weeks to get it really ticked me off. The tracking number they gave me didn't work until it was on US soil. Sorry for the venting.

As far as the lights themselves they are decent quality. My first pair are still in my old car, 5 years and 125,000 miles.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had 35w 6000k in my headlights and fogs on my old Ranger and they were nice looking, but I always wish I would have gone with the 55w. I think on my truck now I am going to go with 55w 6000k in the headlights and fog lights. 55w and 35w are slightly different colors which is why I want them matched.

·
Registered
133 Posts
From what I have been told they can not stock the 55w in the US. There is some law that prohibits them from selling them that is why they come from China. I had mine for 3-4 months before I took they out as I almost had an old lady run off the road. My next investment will be some projectors to go with the HID's The Retrofit source has some specials on the D2S that seem very easy to install

·
Registered
133 Posts
Did you have a problem with your DP tuner and your HID's? every time I turned my lights on the truck would die from the interference from the lights and their tuner. I had to run Farite beads to help the problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did you have a problem with your DP tuner and your HID's? every time I turned my lights on the truck would die from the interference from the lights and their tuner. I had to run Farite beads to help the problem.
I've only had the truck cut out on me twice when turning on the headlights. After that, I decided to put the beads on mine as well. Since then I haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Good to hear that the beads fixed your problem

1 - 20 of 31 Posts