Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 CCSB has 4:10 in the truck now and i was planning on a RSK, D60 , SD springs and 315s to help bring the RPM down on the highway.

Yesterday i bought a 94 F350 parts truck that has 3:55s.

I towed the 94 home tonight w/ the 97 and it towed quite well for a stock truck(chip in off postion due to slipping clutch). While I dont tow all the time, this will be one of this trucks dutys. Should i keep the 4:10 when i do a RSK and 315s or should i Swap in the 3:55s and run 285s?or still go 315s?

·
Registered
433 Posts
if the trucks main duty will be towing i think the 4.10 are best!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have 3:55 and 315s and will also be installing a RSK and SD springs in a couple of weeks. I like the lower rpms and have no trouble towing but I never tow more than a couple of tons on a small flatbed.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
I have 4:10 with 285's and it gets decent mileage and tows nicely.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have towed stock with both. The 410's are the better pullers. They got way better mileage pulling than the 355's. IIRC, I did good to keep the 355's at or slightly above 10mpg pulling a 10k load. The 410's were running 13-14mpg for the same load. My Dodges pulled way better with 355's, but with the PSD's, the 410 win every time for me.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Excellent question...think it's a personal preference...I like the hand shaker best...
My 96 CCLB had 355's and ZF-5 and ran it with 285's and 315's awesome mileage high as 24.5 mpg (imperial gallons) usually not less then 19 combined....worst towing 12.
Sig truck came with 410s and 315's, E4OD and I hated it with the 410's so I swapped gears from truck to truck. Still don't really care for the E40D and the plan is to swap over the ZF-5 in time. I mean its ok on hard acceleration because you don't loose boost. I just don't like the feeling of on the peddle then you coast, brake...on the peddle again...

As your truck is ZF if it where me I'd put the 355s in it. When you tow you can leave it in 4th (if heavy, hilly) bla bla...

Not sure I have seen many CCSBs in a handshaker....that's rare in my area...cool. Then again you could try it as is then swap just the rears to see if you like it...

jrc

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have towed stock with both. The 410's are the better pullers. They got way better mileage pulling than the 355's. IIRC, I did good to keep the 355's at or slightly above 10mpg pulling a 10k load. The 410's were running 13-14mpg for the same load. My Dodges pulled way better with 355's, but with the PSD's, the 410 win every time for me.

Forgot to mention I had the E4OD on both of those trucks. I also had a 94 PSD with a ZF5 and 410's. It was a pulling monster.:ford: It was the best of the bunch, too.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent question...think it's a personal preference...I like the hand shaker best...
My 96 CCLB had 355's and ZF-5 and ran it with 285's and 315's awesome mileage high as 24.5 mpg (imperial gallons) usually not less then 19 combined....worst towing 12.
Sig truck came with 410s and 315's, E4OD and I hated it with the 410's so I swapped gears from truck to truck. Still don't really care for the E40D and the plan is to swap over the ZF-5 in time. I mean its ok on hard acceleration because you don't loose boost. I just don't like the feeling of on the peddle then you coast, brake...on the peddle again...

As your truck is ZF if it where me I'd put the 355s in it. When you tow you can leave it in 4th (if heavy, hilly) bla bla...

Not sure I have seen many CCSBs in a handshaker....that's rare in my area...cool. Then again you could try it as is then swap just the rears to see if you like it...

jrc
I am just wooried about loosing bottom end, taking off on hills and such w the 3:55s. But like you said i can just swap the rear axle and see how i like it.

Only problem w that is i want to tear this parts truck apart and get some $$$ back before i tear into my CCSB. Trying to decide to sell my D60 w 4:10 or 3:55

·
OOPS I KILLED A PENGUIN..
372 Posts
Is the zf5 the transfer case?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Stacks, the ZF5 is the Ford 5 speed trans.

Diesel Brad, I live in the hills and I saw no real difference with the 355's except the fuel mileage. There may have been a small amount of lost power, but not that much....IIRC. It has been a good while since I had that truck...got rid of it in 96. I could be forgetting something.

·
OOPS I KILLED A PENGUIN..
372 Posts
Oh that was my second guess:D

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
I've delt with a few PSDs with 3.55s & 35s & personally I feel it's too tall of a gear for the tires. On one truck I delt with EGTs dropped a few hundred degrees when the gears were swapped to 4.10s. I feel that 4.10s & 35s are about a perfect match & set you closer to stock gearing. Just like how I feel 3.55s are better suited for 31-33" tires. If you cut your RPMs enough your always out of your power band.
When I swapped 3.55s on my 93 IDI it was nice for cruising & my MPG went up on the highway. But after I added a turbo with a large exhaust housing I discovered that I was always cruising under the turbo unless I was doing 60-65 everywhere. When the speed limit is 45-55mph & hilly it's not going to be happy. Adding the flatbed cut my MPG down because the truck was always struggling. I re-geared it back to 4.10 since my driving was mostly at 55mph & the mpg stayed about the same but the truck picked up some power again.
Something else to remember about a cummins vrs powerstroke is a Cummins has all the low end grunt. We have a wider power band but we need a few more rpms before we reach it. I know plenty of people run 3.55s & 35s daily but I have yet to ride in a truck that really impressed me.

·
Powerstroked
602 Posts
4.10's as most have said. I personally think 4.10's are the highest gear I would go with 35's. 3.55's are too high in my opinion.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My biggest concern is fuel economy with OUT the trailer and yet still have the power to tow the trailer (Grossing out at 18-20k). It has a DP f4 in the truck now but i have to leave it in the stock setting(slipping clutch), a Napa 6637 and will get turbo back exhaust when i do clutch. I would like to get 20-22MPG hwy NO trailer, yet still be able to tow when needed with out being a pig

Right now from the 2 tanks of fuel i have put thru the truck I am at 15-17MPG, mixed suburban and highway
That is a CCSB 4x4, stock 235/85/16 tires, ZF5, 4:10s and when on the highway setting the cruise at 65MPH, and not ANY faster

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
What I have done with the sig ride is to put on a 1.0 exhaust housing. Here in BC, Canada if you get caught 40 Kph (25 mph) over the speed limit, you get tossed right there and ride goes on the hook....and put in compound for 7 days....fax in ridiculous and most the speed limits are 50 to 60 mph....

So with 355 and 315 stock turbo usually gonna be AWAY above the limit when you get into the efficiency range runnin empty.

I only ever towed my TT 6-8000lbs and never had a problem with that with those gears and tires with my 96 ZF-5. Would totally agree with an E4OD man I can hardly wait to get it out.....everybody is different just though I'd throw it out there.... I will be doin ZF and 355s and keeping the 315....hopefully by end of this summer.

jrc

·
STILL LEARNING
18,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anybody else running 315s, 3:55s, a ZF5 and towing?

I would like to hear about your experiances

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
:popcorn:

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
The only time I wish I had 3.55 gears with stock tires is at faster highway speeds like 65-70 and up empty.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only time I wish I had 3.55 gears with stock tires is at faster highway speeds like 65-70 and up empty.
See, when i drive down the highway now. at 65mph I am looking for another gear, but 315s will cure "most" of that

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
So do the 3.55s and turn up the power a little. Best of both worlds....that is what I would ultimately like to do.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts