Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2002 F250 7.3 im trying to decided which would be better for power and sound. any vids are appreciated. I know stacks will keep down the EGTs but other then that will i see any gains?

i either want to keep my stock 4in exhaust and run a single 6 or 8in stack

or

should i run a 5in exhaust all the way back

i will be running no mufflers or coverters.

· Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
your stock exhaust is 3.5" i believe. unless you are going really big on power, just cut the muff and cat. you really dont even need 4" til you get up there in power, and i dont think stacks lower egt's, they just look cool.

· Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
oh ya, and fill out your sig so everyone sees what you have done to the truck. what mods do you have/want?

· Registered
561 Posts
With a 5" you'll be hard pressed to out-grow it. Not necessary for quite a bit of power, but you'll know its "big enough".

No cat and no muffler, even with 4" can create quite a bit of resonance. Throw an Aeroturbine on it. Still sounds great, but kills the drone.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
hmm.. that link just went to photobucket's mainpage. anyway, with all those mods, 4" would be fine. i have a 4" straight pipe setup now, but i'm thinkin about a muffler. been doin a lot of highway driving lately and the drone is getting old, as CtG said. i still dont think you need 5" unless you just want it. the drone get worse with the bigger pipes you put on.

· All done now
23,170 Posts
4" turbo back is all the exhaust you will ever need. Another vote for the muffler. It is going back on mine.

Only thing wrong with stacks. Two are gay :poke: One is cool, but takes up room in the bed of the truck.

· Registered
1,108 Posts
not to mention they are really annoying in the cab for long drives.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i realize my 4in stright pipe is enough for what i need but i want a better sounding deep tone... I wish i could get mine to sound as loud and deep as a cummins.. i love the way they sound but hate dodge... thats all im trying to do with the exhaust change...

· Registered
745 Posts
4" from turbo back if you live in the salt i would consider SS but other than that a 4" piece of mandrel bent tubing is just that.

· All done now
23,170 Posts
yeah i realize my 4in stright pipe is enough for what i need but i want a better sounding deep tone... I wish i could get mine to sound as loud and deep as a cummins.. i love the way they sound but hate dodge... thats all im trying to do with the exhaust change...
A V-8 will never sound like an inline 6. Never happen.

· Registered
889 Posts
A V-8 will never sound like an inline 6. Never happen.
I agree completely. A 7.3 sounds nothing like a cummins, but with a good exhaust they sound great. I have run stock exhaust with straight pipe, then stacks, now a 5" with no muffler. They all sounded good to me.

· Back in Black
1,379 Posts
i love the way my 5" exhaust sounds with headers :D

· Village Idiot
8,222 Posts
Did you have the headers before or after the 5?

· Registered
4,144 Posts
Unless you are making big power a 4" turbo back will do fine. I have the Diamondeye with muffler on mine and it sounds good but no drone in the cab. My E99 came with a cat but I gutted it and ran the pipe thruogh it. Passes smog every time

· Hater Club
3,631 Posts

straight pipe cummins sounds like #### to me..

MBRP 4" TB is the way to go. Magnaflow also makes a nice kit. We also have a few "budget" kits available. Give me a holler if I can help with anything.
I have a 4in SS Magnaflow setup. I have been extremely happy with it. I have the muffler laying around somewhere...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.