Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 6.0 with 65k miles. No issues but I have a EGR delete to install and I'm going to do the oil cooler while I'm at it. Truck is a work truck that tows and snow plows so I'll need the cold weather package for sure. Other than cost, what is the advantage/dis atvantage of using the stock oil filter set up? What is the difference from the standard duty/heavy duty? I see there are 4 options on their website.

·
Administrator
32,985 Posts
I could go through all the pros of the remote filter and HD version

but a call or email to them will get you dialed in

I was doing the HD either way and I wanted to retain the OEM filter at first but they have issues with bypass and plastics so I was changing my plan to go with the remote

·
Registered
7 Posts
I figured the stock filter works great on these motors, so why change. Just got the standard duty, stock filter set up with cold weather kit installed last week. So far so good.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the difference between the standard duty and the heavy duty?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not positive, but would guess that it is just a larger radiator or something along those lines. They said if you are running a dually or are constantly towing really heavy loads to run the heavy duty cooler.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Nothing worse then spending all that money and find that you regret spending the extra couple hundred for the bigger cooler when your hauling a trailer up some mountain. Would like to see a little more mounting options though as hopefully I will be getting a BPD setup soon but would rather mount the oil cooler in an opening in my winch bumper.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Yes they did. For some of my towing, which can be real slow and real heavy, I'd prefer the ability to mount it close to a foot further ahead of the rad in my winch bumper which I plan on also using temperature controlled electric fans.

·
04 FX4 6.0 :)
10 Posts
Gonna sound kinda dumb but my truck has 144,000 and I'm not sure if it's had any work done to it, what do I look for? If it doesn't have a bulletproof kit what's a good reasonably way to go?

·
Administrator
32,985 Posts
what makes you think it needs anything ?

We check our engine coolant and engine oil temps to see if the oil cooler is doing it's job

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
what makes you think it needs anything ?

We check our engine coolant and engine oil temps to see if the oil cooler is doing it's job
On the truck we're using its in 4-low doing twenty to thirty kph and the oil is around 220 and coolant is about 210 during the difficult sections of the "road" so we're assuming that with an air/oil cooler would run hotter in this scenario.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The most mine has every seen is 10 degrees difference. Coolant around 190° and Oil around 200° When I'm done pushing the truck it come right back down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
With regard to what to look for: Bullet Proof Diesel air-oil cooler would have two 1" diameter oil lines going from near the radiator on the passenger side back up into the adapter block in the engine valley, under the intake manifold, you can't miss them. One of the oil lines is routed right along the turbo intake pipe, right behind the alternator. It would be pretty obvious.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts