Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove a few spring mounts from the frame on my truck.

Several people have talked about how well an air chisel works for that task, ie 10 seconds per rivet.

What brand/model of air chisel should I be looking at ?

What attachments do I need ? Cold Chisel, punch to drive out the rivet, etc ?

FWIW, I drilled and hand punched the rivets on my last suspension project. It was the hardest part of the whole project.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just bought ab Ingersoll rand and it came with a 3 pack of attachments. I havent used it yet (hopefully this weekend to remove all the rear suspension mounts) I'll let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I used a cheap $30 unit from Advance as I didn't have the $250 to buy the unit want.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Before I chiseled mine out I hit the heads with a cutting wheel. Just put an "x" on the head deep tell you almost hit the frame behind. Then chisel the heads right off.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
This is what I have and it is AWESOME!!!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I need some model numbers, guys. I looked at IRs this morning and there are about 10 of them. Which one are you using ?

When you mean 1/2", you mean the tooling has a 1/2" shank ? Or the piston is 1/2" ?

I have an elcheapo clone air hammer and it won't touch the rivets.

How much air pressure are you using and how big is your compressor ?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I need some model numbers, guys. I looked at IRs this morning and there are about 10 of them. Which one are you using ?

When you mean 1/2", you mean the tooling has a 1/2" shank ? Or the piston is 1/2" ?

I have an elcheapo clone air hammer and it won't touch the rivets.

How much air pressure are you using and how big is your compressor ?
Try the one you have and cut an X into the head of the rivet. Give yours a shot before you go spending money on a tool that is just going to sit 99.9% of the time... LOL

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yeah i did the same as Layson and it worked awesome! Even when i still had my shop i never needed to buy one of them overpriced removers.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
But it looks good in the tool box!!! :evil lol

Seriously, it took like 10 seconds per rivet with that thing. Was worth every penny to me.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
me2, where are you located?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
How does it work ?
It works just fine. Had it for a couple years and has done everything I have asked it to.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I have a BluePoint one and I am not impressed with it

·
Built Not BOUGHT
93 Posts
Well, I went to Home Depot and bought me a little Husky air hammer with a couple packs of the cheapo string cheese strong chisel attachments. Went through half of them but got the rear leaf spring hangers off and everything else I wanted off on my 00 SD when I did my 12'' lift on it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts