Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Hardcore Redneck
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best all around fuel additive? Which ones have you tried, and why do you like them? Personally I have used the Motorcraft Cetane additive, Howes, and Opti-Lube XPD (yes, I saw it in a magazine and I gave it a shot). As far as MPG, I didnt see any real improvement w/ any of these, but with the ULSD I do believe that you should run some sort of extra lube. All recomendations will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Alot of people on here go with 2 Stroke ashless motor oil from Wal-Mart. It seems to work for them as far as keepeing everything lubricated and some people have noticed some slight MPG increase. I haven't tried it yet but I'm gonna start. Use a 1oz to 1gal ratio.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
i run powerservice and pick up anywhere from .5-1 mpg and power is noticable and it doesnt smoke as bad, im a lil hefty on it though to. ive always used it and quit for nearly six months and it finally dawned on me that i had lost some power and it was noisier and bam its back to runnin stronger an quieter again.

·
Hardcore Redneck
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where can you pick up a bottle of Powerservice?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Where can you pick up a bottle of Powerservice?
pretty much any automotive supply store. wal-mart sells it. cal-ranch if you have those in your area.
it looks like this

also, stanadyne is a good brand too

I

·
0 Posts
Powerservice here as well. I don't notice much in the way of improved MPG but the truck runs smoother due to the added lubicity and cetane. White bottle in winter and gray bottle in the summer.. It's $12.00 here at Wally World, treats 250 gallons..

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
What is the best all around fuel additive? Which ones have you tried, and why do you like them? Personally I have used the Motorcraft Cetane additive, Howes, and Opti-Lube XPD (yes, I saw it in a magazine and I gave it a shot). As far as MPG, I didnt see any real improvement w/ any of these, but with the ULSD I do believe that you should run some sort of extra lube. All recomendations will be greatly appreciated.
I've tried every kind i could get my hands on,but we prefer MotorCraft additive,it seems to work the best for us.Evan in our D-Maxes.

·
Hardcore Redneck
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wal-Mart, that easy enough. Ill swing by in the morning and pick up a jug.

·
Registered
128 Posts
For some reason ive never netted Anything using powerservice in any of my diesels. With that being said my opinion would be either Howe's or stanadyne. Usually i run the Howe's since its easily picked up at some part store's or truck stops. Then there's also the 2 stroke like mentioned above.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just began using Motorcraft after my last oil change. At 84000 mi. I was impressed with the quick starting, smoothness of the engine and it seems like the fuel gauge drops slower. Less smoke out of the pipe. A 20 oz. bottle should last a few tankfuls, and if performance stays nice I might just pick up a case.
DVC
Jon H.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i tryed rbp's additive and lost 2 mpgs and my truck started to smoke blue. i stoped using it and after about 4 tanks through it with just plain fuel it was pack to normal.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I've never known any additive to improve MPG.
this has been my experience as well.
although, I will say I felt the truck ran a little smoother.
Of course, this is a completely subjective measurement.
I guess I should just say it made me feel tingly and warm inside... LOL

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Stanadyne blue bottle Cetane improver and 2 cycle ashless, smoother, quieter...and 10 mpg better....:poke::D

jrc

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
what were you getting, 5, 6 mpg? LOL
unless it was in that neighborhood, I have a hard time believing your claim.

·
TimmyaleX
656 Posts
tried optilube now use stanadyne and got 17.7 mpg mostly hiway on my last tank

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Where is the best place to buy Stanadyne?

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
what were you getting, 5, 6 mpg? LOL
unless it was in that neighborhood, I have a hard time believing your claim.
Totally funin' there with the 10 mile gain....with sig truck have not experienced measurable gains yet, by adding Stanadyne and 2 stroke low ash oil. currently 14 to 17 mpg (imperial gallons).

With my '96 F350 has basically the same mods as sig truck 'cept is had the ZF5 it actually was better by 1.5 miles per gallon using additives. With the '96 totally stock best I ever got was 20 miles per imperial gallon and would usually get 17 to 18. After all the mods and 150/146 injectors, IC, 285 tires wildman chip best 24.5 mpg and would average around 19 to 21 consistantly running 60 to 70 miles an hour. anything under 2150 RPM would give me great mileage over would drop.....worst I got towing was 12....

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Where is the best place to buy Stanadyne?
Not sure of the Best place but I get mine from local injector rebuild shop and you might try over the highway truck stop....it's not all that common where I live....

jrc

1 - 20 of 37 Posts