Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Going Crazy
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im getting flown to New Orleans next wednesday for an interview and want to check out the town and area a little, anyone have advice on what to check out while im down there??? And for those who live there, is it a good place to live, i hear alot of scary things but i guess they cant all be true lol.... Thanks

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
I made my first lengthy visit (I've driven through on I-10 and flown in to go up to Lafayette, numerous times) there last fall.

It wasn't nearly as scary as I was hearing.

Take a bus tour and you can get a good idea of the area.

Walking through the French Quarter is...............eye-opening.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
So im getting flown to New Orleans next wednesday for an interview and want to check out the town and area a little, anyone have advice on what to check out while im down there??? And for those who live there, is it a good place to live, i hear alot of scary things but i guess they cant all be true lol.... Thanks
The majority of the city is "nice". all the bad things you hear about are in areas you most likely would not go to.

D-day museum
Cafe Du Monde
Deffinately take a ride on the Natchez if possible
Mardi gras world

Hell, ive lived here so long I dont even know what people consider fun:doh: its just like any other day to me

As far as living here, the actual City of New Orleans in my opinion is a stupid place to live; not because of crime or anything like that, but they do pay higher taxes etc. Cross the river to the westbank and you have a lot of nicer areas, and if you do want to go into the downtown area its a 5 minute drive back across. When your in give me a shout, I can show you around. It's even not unusual to live on the northshore and comute every day.

Where are you interviewing?

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
Run the other freakin way!!!!! New Orleans is a ####hole.

They'd have to pay me to live there. I drove around for 3 hours the other day and saw 4 white people until I got the the French Quarter and saw tourists.

Just sayin....

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Run the other freakin way!!!!! New Orleans is a ####hole.

They'd have to pay me to live there. I drove around for 3 hours the other day and saw 4 white people until I got the the French Quarter and saw tourists.

Just sayin....
well what do you expect when you try to find a new girl in the ghetto:poke:

Dont listen to the hype, NOLA is NOT as bad as people make it seem. I dont care for the whole "city" thing myself, but all in all it is NOT THAT BAD. There is PLENTY of nice places to live outside the actual "city" part. Gretna, harvey, Belle chasse, parts of Marrero, Metairie, Terrytown, Kenner. Every place I listed is an easy 10 minute drive back to downtown (with the exception of Marerro)

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Like I said, what do you expect when you go romping through the ghetto? Those would be the areas that I said he would NOT go to anyway. And the second pic of bourbon...well what else do you expect? bourbon street after mardi gras is nasty...since all you tourists come in and drink all night long...go to that same corner right now at 1100 in the monring and I PROMISE it looks nothing like that.

BTW Jap, I do recall seeing a trailer in your yard, and broke down cars/trucks in front of most peoples houses when I came visit...The only difference between NOLA and where you live, is the color of the people that live there.

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
You're ####ing NUTS. The area I live in, no it's not perfect. But to compare the back woods to New Orleans is just plain retarded.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
You're ####ing NUTS. The area I live in, no it's not perfect. But to compare the back woods to New Orleans is just plain retarded.
Like I said, the only difference is the color of the people who live there. Oh and the fact that the house are 300 feet apart instead of 10 feet apart. I am getting in my car now, and going driving just to take pics for you.

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
Sleeper - As far as I'm concerned, the lack of focus on helping NOLA since Katrina is a national embarrassment.

Here's an interesting perspective.

What do you think the neighborhood should look like, when the water level reached the highest blue pole?

In addition, I have been all over MS also and your photo's could easily have been taken in a dozen different places I've been there. :shrug:

Slowleak - I will have to disagree with you on Cafe Du Monde. I can't tell the difference between their beignet's....................and the funnel cakes I get at the fair. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
I didn't say Mississippi is any better. But look at the statistics, and you'll see how great New Orleans is. I'm not arguing this anymore. I gave my opinion, and the OP can take it FWIW.

·
Going Crazy
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The majority of the city is "nice". all the bad things you hear about are in areas you most likely would not go to.

D-day museum
Cafe Du Monde
Deffinately take a ride on the Natchez if possible
Mardi gras world

Hell, ive lived here so long I dont even know what people consider fun:doh: its just like any other day to me

As far as living here, the actual City of New Orleans in my opinion is a stupid place to live; not because of crime or anything like that, but they do pay higher taxes etc. Cross the river to the westbank and you have a lot of nicer areas, and if you do want to go into the downtown area its a 5 minute drive back across. When your in give me a shout, I can show you around. It's even not unusual to live on the northshore and comute every day.

Where are you interviewing?
Yea i was kinda looking at the close places to live if i do end up down there, Im interviewing with Cargill, they are right on river road i believe in Westwego if i remember correctly.... Pretty much flying me down there thursday and i have thursday afternoon and night to look around the area and try and get a general idea if its somewhere i wana be. The hotel they got me is right on burbon street lol

·
Registered
763 Posts
new orleans aint that bad on the french quarter. i was down there last week for st. patricks day and its a neat place. they have some really good resturants. go to the place on toulous next to the inn on bourbn its called big ass beers if u want beers. the louisiana swamp tours is really cool as well. yeah it stinks there but just in the mornings. at night its not bad unless someone ####s themselfs

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Yea i was kinda looking at the close places to live if i do end up down there, Im interviewing with Cargill, they are right on river road i believe in Westwego if i remember correctly.... Pretty much flying me down there thursday and i have thursday afternoon and night to look around the area and try and get a general idea if its somewhere i wana be. The hotel they got me is right on burbon street lol
Westwego has its ups and downs just like everywhere else. Your on the westbank so your heading in the right direction. Your not far from the good part of the eastbank, about a 10 minute drive over the Huey P Long. Clearview has alot of nice nice places to eat, very family friendly. When I'm out taking pics for jap I will snap some from that area too. its raining right now so pics suck

·
Going Crazy
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Westwego has its ups and downs just like everywhere else. Your on the westbank so your heading in the right direction. Your not far from the good part of the eastbank, about a 10 minute drive over the Huey P Long. Clearview has alot of nice nice places to eat, very family friendly. When I'm out taking pics for jap I will snap some from that area too. its raining right now so pics suck
cool that would be great to see.. What is the cost of living like down there??

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
If you're interested, there are a bunch of sites that you can use to compare cost of living from one location to another.

I would suggest that you check out a few though, as I have found disparities in the different calculators.

Here's but just one.

Cost of Living Calculator (click here)

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Gallon of gas $2.60-$2.90
Diesel right under $3
Milk $3.50ish
Dozen eggs $1.50-$2.00

I dont really know how else to explain cost of living.
Im accustomed to it so I cant really say if its good or bad lol.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
How about....... "Although more expensive than the cost of being dead, it's a lot more fun." :D
LMAO.

Badluck, I forgot to add, if your an offroader we have a semi decent offroad park that opened about a year ago here in Belle Chasse.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A bad place or a good place is all relative to what you are used to and what you are looking for, I lived in Metairie for several years, then Waggaman, both areas have slums as well as nice places, Metairie is very urban and close together, Waggaman is more remote with larger lots and a little more breathing room, I've been up in Kentwood for 15 years(90miles north) and love it up here, I even commuted to New Orleans East for 5 years from here, but I'm a country boy and love living out of the city, basically it's all boils down to what you are looking for.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts