Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive had this plan for a while now but i just don't know where to go for my line of work or even where to start.

so im currently going to school to take a carpentry class and i will graduate in spring of 2015. i plan to stay up here in the north for a little while and get some experience and save up money then i plan to move down south to i was thinking georgia. so ill start off with this, what area should i look in that i would be able to rent either a good size apartment or a small house that would be close to a good construction company that i would be able to get a job at? im hoping that by the time im ready to move i will have started a family or atleast have a relationship going so it would need to be a place that is family friendly as im sure most places are. i like to be in more of the country setting as opposed to city. i know things could change in 3 years but what are some areas currently that would fit this description. eventually i would like to be able to start up my own construction company or get into a business partnership with someone to start a construction company. also somewhere in the plan is to build my own house on a nice sized piece of property without having to totally relocate the family i may or may not have started at that point. can anyone help me out and give me some advice?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've had the same thought. Weather is so much nicer in the winter months and none of the truck eating salt. I've thought of TN and I have some family in Nashville. Something to think about is starting a family while your up here yet. My current girlfriend has a brother in the army at fort Campbell and she likes it down there too. She also has an 8 year old and 5.5 year old and has no interest whatsoever of moving down there and moving them away from their families. You need to be right up front with someone about your intentions or find someone down there. From my experiences down south the people are different and for the most part seem nice and friendly, not dbags and stuck up thinking they are better than everyone else like I see so much of around me.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,855 Posts
i know of people who build houses in the country to the northwest of the Dallas/ TX metro area, and then about 10 years later, development has reached thier area lol - end up making some money on their land & them move to another similar spot. plus the area has been building nonstop for quite a while if i understand correctly.

TX may be a bit of a stretch for you though, being as you want GA...

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had the same thought. Weather is so much nicer in the winter months and none of the truck eating salt. I've thought of TN and I have some family in Nashville. Something to think about is starting a family while your up here yet. My current girlfriend has a brother in the army at fort Campbell and she likes it down there too. She also has an 8 year old and 5.5 year old and has no interest whatsoever of moving down there and moving them away from their families. You need to be right up front with someone about your intentions or find someone down there. From my experiences down south the people are different and for the most part seem nice and friendly, not dbags and stuck up thinking they are better than everyone else like I see so much of around me.
Also my reasons for moving down there. I have family in Florida maryville Tennessee as well as up here in pa and my grandmother lives in Florida in the winter and up here in pa in the summer. I'm only 19 so it's thinking ahead a little bit but that's the plan. Not in a serious relationship as of now so if I'm not in one then I guess that would be even easier for me. Everyone down there is really nice and not always in a rush like we are up here. It's just a different way of life that I like.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hard to really say right now. Building industry sucks. We are in the dump truck business and have been hit hard with the economy just like all the builders. If you want country/rural setting look at least 25 miles outside of I-285(the perimeter around Atlanta), population starts thinning out when you get 20-30 miles outside the perimeter. As far as all of the other major cities in Georgia go(dalton, Rome, Augusta, Athens,savannah, Columbus, albany, Valdosta, statesboro,etc) you can pretty much start looking just a few miles outside the city limits and start finding rural areas. Georgia is a great place to live. I would narrow it down to what region of Georgia you like and then try to find a reputable construction contractor closer to the time you are wanting to move. It's starting to pick back up slowly. I live in Greensboro which is basically in the middle of no where on I-20 half way between Atlanta and Augusta but we have lake Oconee here which is a high property value lake. This was the place to be for builder 8-10 years ago until the economy tanked. Good luck with your search

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good luck with your search

thanks bud. im thinking about coming down to the state this summer to get a couple of trucks tuned. one by PHP one by KEM so ill probably do some investigating into areas around where im going to be. hopefully ill come home with a better idea of where i will want to end up eventually.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Add me to the list of Yankees looking to relocate. My illustrious Governor announced last week people like me aren't welcome in NY anymore, I keep debating on whether to stay and fight this idiot or flee south where I think I'd fit in better. I do business on line so it doesn't really matter where I go, I would like some woods and terrain similar to what we have here instead of the flatlands. Would love to pick up a 15 to 20 acre parcel, I'd have about $200,000 cash available. Not sure how far that would get me.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Add me to the list of Yankees looking to relocate. My illustrious Governor announced last week people like me aren't welcome in NY anymore, I keep debating on whether to stay and fight this idiot or flee south where I think I'd fit in better. I do business on line so it doesn't really matter where I go, I would like some woods and terrain similar to what we have here instead of the flatlands. Would love to pick up a 15 to 20 acre parcel, I'd have about $200,000 cash available. Not sure how far that would get me.
check out Tennessee or even farther out west around the rockies. that would be my second place to move if not georgia. im just tired of the way of life around here. 2 people from the graduating class of 2012, the year before me, have died due to drugs and honestly im just tired of hearing about it. ended up leaving my friends last night because they started with that chit and i was just fed up with it 2 days after the kid just died. seems like this state is so overcome with lazy azzes and druggies anymore. im sure its elsewhere too but i need to get away from it from around here.

·
Registered
163 Posts
North Georgia is a great place to live. I lived in northeast Georgia a couple of years during college. Great terrain and good people.

·
Registered
271 Posts
thanks bud. im thinking about coming down to the state this summer to get a couple of trucks tuned. one by PHP one by KEM so ill probably do some investigating into areas around where im going to be. hopefully ill come home with a better idea of where i will want to end up eventually.
I live about 15 miles away from KEM in Georgia. Monticello and pretty much all the town's around here are pretty good. I can't stand Atlanta though.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
check out Tennessee or even farther out west around the rockies. that would be my second place to move if not georgia. im just tired of the way of life around here. 2 people from the graduating class of 2012, the year before me, have died due to drugs and honestly im just tired of hearing about it. ended up leaving my friends last night because they started with that chit and i was just fed up with it 2 days after the kid just died. seems like this state is so overcome with lazy azzes and druggies anymore. im sure its elsewhere too but i need to get away from it from around here.
The only thing this damn state is has to offer is tons of drugs, meth clinics, and easy welfare. Of coarse none are of my interest of ever would be as Ive always worked for everything I got and never or would never touch drugs as there a waste. Me and the woman are really thinking of relocating down south like a nice country setting with kind people the southerns are known as unlike these laze idiots that live in this valley that never work and just steal and rob whatever they can for there drugs. I had a cop stop here last week and ask whats up with my new sight screwed to my portches that reads, If your found here at night on this property and dont live here you will still be here in the morning but not standing. I said it speaks for itsself. Simply stay out. He said a couple neighbors were complaining and I said then they just need to stay out or move lol. Gotta get out of p.a. here too. I know how you feel all too well. The hard part is getting the job lined up down there and the house bought, then finally moving everything.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Alabama is currently seeing more of what i would call "real growth" in industry and will be a more stable and faster growing market moving forward, may want to look there. Also cost of living in Alabama is very low.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Exactly what I'm worried about bob. If I move down there then lose the job or it doesn't work out or whatever then I'm screwed. No one there to help me out. Plan to save up some money and grab an apartment for myself or something like that.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well since the last time I updated this I started working in a distribution center for fastenal and they have another DC in Georgia. Probably around Atlanta. So I'm hoping I could head down that way with a friend who works for azek which also has a plant in Atlanta. Could start off still working for fastenal until I find something else. So at least there's a backup plan. And I'm not sticking around up here any longer than I have to. Summer 2015 I'm gone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts