Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a power seat into my truck. It didn't have one from the factory and thus I had to run hot always power to the seat. I had a devil of a time finding a source of it under the dash ?

I have some wiring diagrams for my truck and they show various wires coming off the main distribution box under the hood. There are also wires coming off the fuse panel under the dash. But it seems impossible to actually get at those wires to do anything with them.

I have more wiring to do... where do you get power from for your accessories ?

Thanks

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
I think there may be a sticky showing you where the "key on" hot wires will be. If not, there's a picture. Search here for something like "customer access wires". Either way, I'd run a relay.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
relay would probably be best, or at least have a good understanding of how much power the circuit is currently handling and how much you will be requiring from it with the new stuff.

I know the radio has a constant as well as a key on hot wire in its harness. I believe the cigarette lighter is a source we used to always use as a constant hot wire for adding radios and stuff. Headlight switch usually has the things you need as well.

·
Lost Cause
896 Posts
The number of accessories run willl determine the best way to wire everything.

For a single circuit, run a wire (stranded cable for all automotive applications) from the battery. Make sure there is a fuse as close to tbe battery as possible. Aquire a relay with a rating higher than the accessory being powered. Find a trigger circuit that you want to use (ie. key on engine off, key on engine on, marker lights, head lights, etc). Once you have all the wires run and determined the best place for the relay, make all connections as per wiring diagrams.

For multiple accessories using the same trigger circuit, use a mini fuse block. Some aftermarket units are available that have relays already installed with provisions for a few trigger methods. A heavier gauge wire will be needed from the battery to the fuse block and size is determined by the amount of current being drawn.

It should be noted that all accessories should have a relay to disconnect power to it until needed. Radios, alarms/security systems, power steps are a few exceptions that should be kept hot at all times, but most everything should be activated by turning the key.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts