Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Romans 1:16
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sounds stupid, but when should I change the oil? I am new to diesel and changed the oil in my old gas guzzler every 3k miles. I have heard that you need to change more frequently than with gas burners. Any insight would help.

Thanks

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Change your air, oil and fuel every 5k, and your rig will be good to you
You changer yours every 5k? I have seen people changing it at 1.5k
Just trying to make sure I am taking care of it properly.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
who changes their oil at 1,500 miles??? theres no point. that is just a waste of money. 5k intervals, and everything will be happy longer

·
Kris
236 Posts
I can't afford to do it at 1.5k! I think 5k is too soon hahah. I usually go 5k on my oil changes, you can send your oil in for analysis and determine the best point from there. I know a lot of people who do it at 7k.

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1.5k seems like overkill. Like I said, I am new to diesel world. I know that it looks like its ready change again after you change it and let it run for 5 minutes. Heard it's just as black as before haha

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I always change mine at 3k. Thats what the powerstroke guys told me is best for the 7.3 when I took the classes, and thats what the manual states. I also dont run synthetic.

To me its piece of mind. My 2011 Fusion is supposed to go 10,000 miles, but I have it changed at 3,000. Its piece of mind, and its free lifetime oil changes from ford so why not.

Welcome to the diesel world

·
Registered
245 Posts
5,000 mile intervals is plenty.

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
1.5k seems like overkill. Like I said, I am new to diesel world. I know that it looks like its ready change again after you change it and let it run for 5 minutes. Heard it's just as black as before haha
This is definitely true on a lot of Cummins engines I have seen, but not so much on the Powerstrokes (or at least mine). My oil looks like honey for at least 1500 miles.

On another note, I change my oil every 3K. I have been using Delo 400 15w40 exclusively for 250K miles without a single oil related issue.

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
With a 2qt. filter and 4 gallons of oil used, 5k is hard enough on the budget. I go 5k or 6 months. Usually, it is 6 months for me, Rotella 15/40 in the summer and Rotella T6 5/40 synthetic in the winter.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
T6 5-40 year round here. Once you get to know your truck really well you'll probably notice it starting to run different the worse the oil gets. Then it's time to change. 5-7k since i use synthetic. Basically whenever the paycheck allows it after 5000

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use valvoline extreme blue synthetic! With blackstone reports I run between 10k-12k miles! No issues !

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a slight oil leak in the truck. Appears that it may be coming out from the gasket on oil pan (although I have not confirmed that). Anyone know of these trucks having this issue? I have seen a few people posting about there being some oil leaks. Is this what they are typically talking about? Also, would it be okay to spray it off with a bit of wd-40 to get it back clean and find the culprit?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a slight oil leak in the truck. Appears that it may be coming out from the gasket on oil pan (although I have not confirmed that). Anyone know of these trucks having this issue? I have seen a few people posting about there being some oil leaks. Is this what they are typically talking about? Also, would it be okay to spray it off with a bit of wd-40 to get it back clean and find the culprit?
does it seem to be more the driver side its leaking from? but yes, clean it up and get a better look at it

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
does it seem to be more the driver side its leaking from? but yes, clean it up and get a better look at it
I was gonna check it out tonight, but it got dark on me when I started the change. It may be, but it seems to be more from the rear of the oil pan. I will have to take better look tomorrow or tuesday. My initial thought was a possible busted oil pan seal, but it's not pouring out at any time. It's just there.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
there is no gasket on the oil pan, it is gray International RTV. and to reseal it you need to pull the pan off, which means removing the engine. if its just a drip, I would let it be.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I run Amsoil (Full Synthetic) and change every 12k miles. I also run a larger oil filter.

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
there is no gasket on the oil pan, it is gray International RTV. and to reseal it you need to pull the pan off, which means removing the engine. if its just a drip, I would let it be.
Psshhh! I'll let the sucker leak before I pull the engine to reseal it. Seems to be a sloppy way to seal an oil pan...

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts