Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a guy from around here (Ohio) stop by my shop the other day. He owns a real nice 04 6.0L.
Was tellin me he was having problems with his truck about 2 months ago, which at the time he didn't know I worked on 6.0L's. He took it into the local Ford dealership (where I use to work) to have it checked out and it ended up be a bad ficm. He told me they charged him $700 bucks for the ficm. I told him wow, I could have gotten you one a lot cheaper than that from swamps diesel performance. Then I told him it takes about 10min. to swap out....I paused for a sec. and said, wait, how much did they charge you to put it in? He said $100 bucks.....they charged him for an hour of labor to change out a ficm. lol

·
Im stroke-less
291 Posts
Ridiculous

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha, I know, thats part of the reason why I quit workin for them. They lie to their customers about the labor rate on about everything and if the customer would raise hell about the labor bill, my boss(the service manager) would make up a bunch of bullspit and carry on talkin out of his a$$.
Hell when we would get slow on majors, they'd schedule in a bunch of oil changes for ppl and we'd be knockin oil changes out in 20 min. or better but they we're still charging an hour of labor. At that time I think their labor rate was around 75 bucks an hour.
Last I heard they we're up to 90 bucks, which I think is what they still prolly are, the guy that stopped by the shop prolly didn't see on his bill the 10$ charge to hook the scanner up to it.
Other reason why I quit was cus my boss was quite the stuck up a$$hole...one of them know it all kinda fellas.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Go buy a dealership and see how much it costs to run a business. The FICM R&R prices aren't bad for a dealership at all.
I kinda agree with this. However, there is making a profit, then there is total @$$ rape which is what a lot of dealerships do to people.

·
Registered
858 Posts
OK they charged him an hour to Remove and reinstall the FICM. What about diagnostic time and testing for proper operation after the install. Now the part price does seam steep. Does the dealer ship sell brand new FICM's or remans / reprogramed ones?
I work in a RV service repair facility, our shop rate $110.00.
As service ( specialized Japenese vehicle) place told me once taking my wife's Izuzu trooper in for an electrical issue; Just to roll it in the bay to diagnose it weather it is fixable or not 1 hour labor. Sounds fair to me.

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
Yep, not cheap to run a dealership, and tons of overhead and you think the IDS is FREE? Those prices looked inline from what I have seen.

·
Registered
383 Posts
where u located in ohio

·
Registered
383 Posts
where u located in ohio incase I need some help with the 6.0

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Northwest part of Ohio between Lima and Vanwert.
Been runing my own shop for close to 5 years now. Closing it up in december though to move to Virginia. Since people have heard that I'm moving, I've gotten even busier. Have a ton to do before I leave thats for sure. I really need to quit scheduling people in now actually, lol.
I've got a number of rebuilds and upgrades to do...cummins, 6.0's and 7.3's....plus the small stuff that comes in during the day, brake jobs, head gasket and intake jobs, steering and suspension repairs, oil changes, etc.
I guess the way a couple of you guys put it, I guess it seems somewhat reasonable for a dealership to charge the amount they do...afterall, they have quite a bit more paper work they have to do than me, and that sh!t can be time consuming.

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
I think thats perfectly fine... Factor in flash time. Alot of guys drain coolant to get the degas bottle out of the way. When they are older the hose breaks at the plastice when pushing the bottle over to the fender... Not worth the risk of stretching it...

·
Registered
586 Posts
I did a half shell for a customer at his yard because his van wouldn't start and i think it came out to around 700$ total for the road call and parts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts