Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has torn their 5R to shreds
Yet? At what power levels ? How did it happen? Other than catastrophic failure when is it time to bite the 3 stack+ bullet?

·
< YOU WISH...
775 Posts
First day with 225's and a VGT-SS. Blew through a 2-3 shift then every gear was like neutral. Suncoast full rebuild lasted about 125 miles. Threw all that garbage including the 6leaker behind the garage and did a 5.9/4R100 swap. Best decision I ever made regarding that truck.

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
Ive got 90k on mine with an idp tune with no problems, then again I have a friend whos been tuned for 5k (truck has 130k or so), and now its getting repaired. But he drives like a jackass.

·
Maroon truck guy
427 Posts
I had my 190s and p max on for about 6-7k miles and it started to take longer to get in gear and reverse.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
i had compounds, injectors, and nitrous lol. i still drove it home. these trannys are awesome but they just have to be tuned right.

·
I wanna go fast
95 Posts
About 40 miles after I loaded spartans tunes off thier site for free lol

·
loud and long
567 Posts
I've got over 65,000 on mine and its had sct on it since about about 20000 and its still. Holden up great. These tranys are awesome!! They just have to be tuned right

·
Trade up playa
323 Posts
Well the trans held great through about 4k of idp tuning. Head gaskets on the other hand, didn't fair so well. What kind of stuff needs to be done to bulletproof these trannies once you get north of 500rwhp? Is it all in tuning?

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
Blew my stock converter to pieces running nothing more than an SCT with IDP tunes. Not sure how long it was tuned but it only had 41k miles on the trans. I stopped daily driving the race tune that day (should have known better anyways, though some guys get away with it just fine). Had a reman put it at Ford, and this thing is a POS, it has never been right since it was put in, takes forever going into reverse now and I have felt the converter slip on lock up with a hot tune loaded.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Stock trany went in about 3mo with stock injectors and Sct. That was before I knew how to drive.

I put a stock trany back in now with over 500hp runs high 12's no issues. It is a must after a reflash to run it up and down threw the gears till all feels firm. One time bad shift flare at wot will kill a 5r

btw a suncoast trany won't do any better if your tunes are flaring. You must feel threw the shifts before wot runs.

·
Banned
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What's the best , obviously never best, but best place to spray it

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
at 25K miles on the odometer. Had an edge juice w/attitude. Tech told me a seal went bad in the trans. He rebuilt and was fine till i went and had the suncoast superduty kit and billet input installed in it at around 52K. Still running stock converter...hope to upgrade that within the next year or so.

·
Registered
284 Posts
i'd say 3rd, thats when stonepusher on here sprays and he has great results
That's what aggie has told me and like pizza pig says I have a good results....3-5 are the hardest gears, On my next trip to the track I want to run a .044 jet out of the hole and then when the trans hits 3rd I will hit the .088 jet. It's the craziest thing but before I did the injectors the trans was taking a while to get into reverse and drive but after the injectors and a few runs at the track it has been shifting flawlessly and going into gear perfect I thought for sure when it was acting weird going into gear that the trans wasn't going to last with the 225's but it seems to be doing just fine.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
130k on the trans, 30k tuned, still shifts like a big dog!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts