Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Still a kid to some ppl
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled into drive way yesterday in corolla and parked next to truck. I nearly fainted lol. Small paint chip where some rust bubbled through on passenger side....i felt around and there are some soft spots under the paint ..... its doomed.... i cant have this. Truck looks toooo clean to have fender rot. Short of cutting it completly out and patching and painting or putting a new bed on it whats else can i do? I know its new jersey but common.....

·
Registered
432 Posts
reskin the side its easier than cutting and welding a patch in

·
Registered
169 Posts
flares! ive been thinking about doing it but they're just so darn pricey, could aslo get creative with bedliner on the arches

·
Registered
166 Posts
bed liner on the rockers and or arches just draws more attention to that area, and everyone will know your hiding rust, it truly looks like crap

·
obs addiction
1,054 Posts
Agreed

And if you beds sides are going, then so are your super cabs and the Rad support is GONE
Idk about the rad support brad, when I wrecked my truck last year and had to find a used one, the original one wasn't that bad( other then being bent) and my bedsides have rust, and michigan salt kills everything normally.... Just saying the rad support may be good, just needs por15 to preserve it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Sorry to say, but if you drive an older truck rust will inevitably happen if you live where they put down salt or calcium. If you have a 100% rust free truck and can wash it weekly and I mean WASH as in craw under it and hose every little nook and cranny out until clean clear water comes out (this whole process takes a solid 30 + min of just hosing under the truck laying in water and getting a bath yourself) on top of a regular wash then you might be able to keep rust away. I personally just got rid of all my rust and I park it for the winter, sucks, but the paranoia involved to keep it rust free while driving it on salty roads was just too stressful and not worth it to me. I have a company car for work and my wife has a car so the truck sits from about Thanksgiving until it rains and washes the salt off the roads in the spring. But if you only wash it every now and then and expect rust to stay away..............AIN'T gonna happen. That crap gets in there and just keeps on eating. Bondo, patch panels ect are a waste of time, it will just come back. I'd get a whole new bedside, start from scratch and wash at least once a week. If you're not committed to keeping up on keeping it clean, you're kinda just throwing money away. My .02

·
STILL LEARNING
18,328 Posts
Idk about the rad support brad, when I wrecked my truck last year and had to find a used one, the original one wasn't that bad( other then being bent) and my bedsides have rust, and michigan salt kills everything normally.... Just saying the rad support may be good, just needs por15 to preserve it.
Then you have a one in a million. That or it was already replaced.They are the 1st thing to go on these trucks. Piss pore design and even less paint on them subjects them to sever rust. My 94 lightning needed No rust repair Except the rad support witch was rotten 4" up

·
Registered
758 Posts
What's the reasoning behind saying changing the WHOLE bedside is easier then welding in new archs??

I personally think its completely opposite but yet I've never experienced changing a bedside.

Just seems like a lot of unnecessary work to fix the wheel arches.

·
Registered
660 Posts
You can weld in new arches, however everytime I've ever seen that when welding them in, the heat warped the crap outta the sides of the bed. Then the only way to correct that is to fill all the waves with bondo. Then when the bed twists and bends the bondo and paint can start to pop and crack around where the arches were welded in. I'm not saying a good body man cannot do it correctly. But I would bet they could replace the whole side in about the same amount of time as it takes to patch the arch in and make it look good. Just seems cleaner and better quality when the whole bedside is replaced, plus I think it will last longer. Or get a rust free bed from down south. Cause if one side's going the other ain't far behind.............I payed like $900 for my bed, came from Texas 100% zero rust. Not sure what bedskins run.......

·
Still a kid to some ppl
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have bedliner on rockers.... look at my avitar pic. Thats my truck as it sitsi thought about doin arches when i did rockers but wanted to remove side molding first. Now that side molding is off i havnt gotten around to it....the fender flais i want are $400 front n rear, but rust would spread past them eventually. The rad n core support were replaced. Was in accident at 30,000 miles.. replaced rad n core support and headlighit hood driver fender...frame wasnt bentno rust on cab orners. I do wash it real good top and underside. Whenever i go offroad with it or after snow storm i run a 2 lawn sprinkler under it for 30 mins....i have already por 15 my frame and under body. No bare metal.... i still got them chrome wheel arches on it and seems rust is bubbling out from under them....

·
Registered
758 Posts
You can weld in new arches, however everytime I've ever seen that when welding them in, the heat warped the crap outta the sides of the bed. Then the only way to correct that is to fill all the waves with bondo. Then when the bed twists and bends the bondo and paint can start to pop and crack around where the arches were welded in. I'm not saying a good body man cannot do it correctly. But I would bet they could replace the whole side in about the same amount of time as it takes to patch the arch in and make it look good. Just seems cleaner and better quality when the whole bedside is replaced, plus I think it will last longer. Or get a rust free bed from down south. Cause if one side's going the other ain't far behind.............I payed like $900 for my bed, came from Texas 100% zero rust. Not sure what bedskins run.......
Well if the bedside warped from the welding then they weren't welded in correctly. If the time is taken to do it right then there will be very little body work needed to finish the repair. Then as long as the new metal and welds are prepped and painted properly there won't be any issues.

I guess it's just hard for me to see spending $350+ for a bedside when new arches can be found for 40 bucks.

I for one will be doing just arches come spring time. I was just curious to hear from others on changing the whole side.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,328 Posts
I glue in bed sides. All welding does is burn off paint and then the rust starts. Glueing them is the best way to go about it. It is stronger than a weld(if done correctly) and seals.

I can do 2 bedsides in a weekend. It is a FAR better repair than Patches. (if done correctly, they will do 30+ years in the salt belt)

·
Registered
660 Posts
What type of glue do you use brad? I've heard of this being done, but never seen it in person. I like the idea. I have also heard that some people can glue in the wheel well arch repair panels as well...........if this is true, then I wouldn't be as opposed to the arch repair panels. To respond to what 97250HD said............... It is very possible that the trucks I have seen arch repairs done on were not done properly. I personally am not a body man and I do not claim to be one. Just expressing why I don't care for patch panels due to what I have seen others do.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,328 Posts
It is panel body adhesive. It is made just for doing this

As for glueing in patch panles, I don't see it happening. That is a butt joint and butt joints have to be welded

·
Registered
432 Posts
brad we do alot of panel bonding at work and afterwards we seamseal Everything to prevent any moisture getting in small gaps . in the past they have had trouble with moisture freezing and cracking things . have you ever ran into that ?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,328 Posts
brad we do alot of panel bonding at work and afterwards we seamseal Everything to prevent any moisture getting in small gaps . in the past they have had trouble with moisture freezing and cracking things . have you ever ran into that ?
Nope. I put enough glue on(both panels) it bonds the 2 panels together and seals out moisture. After the panels are clamped together, I take my finger and wipe the excess glue around the joint sealing it

·
Registered
758 Posts
It is panel body adhesive. It is made just for doing this

As for glueing in patch panles, I don't see it happening. That is a butt joint and butt joints have to be welded
Body shop near me overlaps arch panels about a inch and glues them. He said then he does the little bit of body work to finish it.

Never seen it done but they claim to do it all the time

·
STILL LEARNING
18,328 Posts
Body shop near me overlaps arch panels about a inch and glues them. He said then he does the little bit of body work to finish it.

Never seen it done but they claim to do it all the time
THTA is HACK right there. The whole bedside must be full of bondo to make it look even half close to right

·
Registered
306 Posts
Nope. I put enough glue on(both panels) it bonds the 2 panels together and seals out moisture. After the panels are clamped together, I take my finger and wipe the excess glue around the joint sealing it
Happen to have any close up pics of one. I've never even heard of it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts