Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm hoping to figure this out a bit before I tear it down and find I don't have the parts I need.

My Bronco (on a 97 PSD F-350 frame) has a grumble sound from the drivers side front. Here are the observations:

-same whether or not the hub is locked
-worsens on right hand turns of course
-proportional to speed

Now I looked for bearings for replacement parts and came across a lot of options. I'll admit I have yet to rebuild a solid axle, so I'm not overly familiar with their construction. A look at an exploded view did not help me pinpoint it either.

What could this be, and what do I need to replace?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Well if it happens when turning to the right, most likely it is the left side. BUT not always.

Wheel bearings are quite simple.

-Jack up and secure truck
-remove tire
-remove caliper
-remove the locking hub assem(allen or torx crews hold the cap on and snap rings hold the assem in the hub).
-if you have manual hubs there is a 4 fingered socket to remove the outer wheel bearing nut, then a "washer then another wheel bearing nut.
-if you have auto hubs there is a small "keyway" then a large Nut that needs a special socket as well.

Once the wheel bearing nuts are off, reach in w a 90* pick tool and remove the outer wheel bearing.

Then thread the nut back on the spindle a couple of turns. Next you will pull the hub and rotor assem. The inner wheel bearing will nit the nut you just threaded on and stop. You want to use the rotor/hub assem like a slide hammer. The will remove the grease seal and inner bearing from the hub.

Once the bearing and seal comes off, you can look over the bearings to see if there is any scoring or discoloration. If there is, you ned to replace the bearing AND race

·
One Stroke @ a Time
268 Posts
Well if it happens when turning to the right, most likely it is the left side. BUT not always.

Wheel bearings are quite simple.

-Jack up and secure truck
-remove tire
-remove caliper
-remove the locking hub assem(allen or torx crews hold the cap on and snap rings hold the assem in the hub).
-if you have manual hubs there is a 4 fingered socket to remove the outer wheel bearing nut, then a "washer then another wheel bearing nut.
-if you have auto hubs there is a small "keyway" then a large Nut that needs a special socket as well.

Once the wheel bearing nuts are off, reach in w a 90* pick tool and remove the outer wheel bearing.

Then thread the nut back on the spindle a couple of turns. Next you will pull the hub and rotor assem. The inner wheel bearing will nit the nut you just threaded on and stop. You want to use the rotor/hub assem like a slide hammer. The will remove the grease seal and inner bearing from the hub.

Once the bearing and seal comes off, you can look over the bearings to see if there is any scoring or discoloration. If there is, you ned to replace the bearing AND race
:whs:

Also please remember that when you put it back together its not a lug nut don't tighten it as tight as you can! You should be able to spin the rotor and hub freely once you have re-installed, you are setting the pre-load on the bearings with the outer nut.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Easy beans so far. The spindle nuts were both relatively loose... :doh: I believe they're supposed to have about 50ftlbs?

I've got the hub off and mounted on my vice. Is there a trick to removing these style races? I've removed the external type, but never from inside a rotor.

Thanks!

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
A good punch and a hammer. IIRC there is a relief in the housing so you can get to it. just gotta clean all the grease out to find it

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I figured (for the tools), just didn't want to goat it and learn down the road that I ruined some surface by doing so. I'll see how this goes!

Thanks again, as I said this is my first time going at an axle like this.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
grr. Got the new race in, inserted the inner bearing, and installed the seal. Now I'm having a hell of a time pushing the whole assembly back onto the spindle...

I cant imagine I'm supposed to install the seal and bearing on the spindle, then push the rotor on.. am I?

I cannot get it on far enough to install a spindle nut to push it on. It really doesn't want to budge as far as the widest part of the spindle entering the bearing. Help?

EDIT: Got it! For future searches:

I had to situate the rotor assembly where it centered on the spindle. I held it in place with a jackstand under the hub (had to shim under the stand to get it just right). Then held a 2x6 board (cut about 6 inches long) over the very end of the hub/rotor, then hit it with a mallet a few good times, slide on after a handful of whacks.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Ok. Stupid question. But did you make sure the bearings you are putting on are the same as the bearings you took out?

If so, little grease on the seal where it will ride on the spindle and LIGHTLY lube the spindle where the bearing will ride

·
One Stroke @ a Time
268 Posts
Ok. Stupid question. But did you make sure the bearings you are putting on are the same as the bearings you took out?

If so, little grease on the seal where it will ride on the spindle and LIGHTLY lube the spindle where the bearing will ride
:whs::whs::eek::whs::eek::whs::eek:

The major parts sluts have a bad habit of giving the wrong bearings and seals. I have at least 3 times been sent an outer axle seal and not a hub grease seal!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts