Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1TONTOY
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading through posts and have only become confused. Can 315's fit on a stock 97 4x4 f-350? Or do I need to add a leaf? If I have to add a leaf is it in the front end only or both front and rear? Or do I need to lift the truck?

Also I am not understanding the issue with tires rubbing on the leaf springs... Is this because the rim is too wide?

I am looking at MKW M19's 18x9's will these fit with 315 cooper st's?
Thanks in advance

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
315 will not clear on a stock F350 .......... UNLEss the bumper is spaced out or trimmed.

I recommend a rsk and a 5" block in the rear

here is my 97 w the rsk and a rear 5" block . 315s on 10" wheels . NO RUBBING WHAT SO EVER
img004.jpg

·
1TONTOY
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a RSK will improve the ride a little along with a 2.5 inch lift. Why do I need 5 inch blocks for the rear if it only lifts the front 2.5 inches?
Also how difficult is it to install? Do I need new shocks?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ive seen a few f250s around the forums here running a leveling kit and 315's. So im guessing with a leveling kit and a minor front bumper trim they should fit just fine.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Sounds like a RSK will improve the ride a little along with a 2.5 inch lift. Why do I need 5 inch blocks for the rear if it only lifts the front 2.5 inches?
Also how difficult is it to install? Do I need new shocks?
It will improve the ride slightly, but for a real ride improvemnt use a rsk and SD "V" code springs and ICON 5" rear lift springs

The 5" block is to level the truck out after installing just the rsk.

It took me about 4 hours in a gravel driveway to do mine, but i did a drop pitman arm, and 4 new shocks. You really should do new shocks lifting the truck 2.5"

·
1TONTOY
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will improve the ride slightly, but for a real ride improvemnt use a rsk and SD "V" code springs and ICON 5" rear lift springs

The 5" block is to level the truck out after installing just the rsk.

It took me about 4 hours in a gravel driveway to do mine, but i did a drop pitman arm, and 4 new shocks. You really should do new shocks lifting the truck 2.5"
What is a drop pitman arm?
Approximate cost for 4 new shocks "V" code springs and 5" ICON rear leaf springs and RSK

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
RSK = Reverse Shackle Kit (front leafs).

Moves the shackle from the front of the leaf to the rear of the leafs. A popular mod is to install Super Duty springs to soften the ride. Do a search here, there's a ton of info on the subject. Also search the Library section.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
1TONTOY
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have read every post to this point..... Gettin a better idea of how it works just took me 4 hours of reading. haha

Will 33's fit for sure on 18x9's on the stock suspension.

F-350 4x4 Stock truck to this point.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I put 315's on my 97 250 with stock suspension and taking about a one inch triangle out of the bumper corners. Rubbing the leaf spring comes from wheel offset. Mine rub because the wheels are stock offset. With a wheel that sticks out a bit more trimming on the bumper would be different. So it comes down to more of what you want. I didn't want to go up another 2 inches or so, and liked the look of a fuller wheel well. A grinder to the bumper was a lot cheaper than a lift too.

·
1TONTOY
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is a negative offset more likely to rub than?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Negative is less likely to rub because it moves your mounting pad more inside the wheel meaning more tire sticks out. What I meant to say was more than just offset. It's a combination of offset and backspacing, but they are related. The wheels on my superduty do not rub the leaf springs, they are Mickey Thompson Classic 2's. Backspacing is 4 7/16 and offset is -27. http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/wheels.php?item=ClassicII

This link is somewhat helpful with the offset backspacing thing. http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_0602_wheel_backspacing_etiquette/index.html

·
1TONTOY
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Negative is less likely to rub because it moves your mounting pad more inside the wheel meaning more tire sticks out. What I meant to say was more than just offset. It's a combination of offset and backspacing, but they are related. The wheels on my superduty do not rub the leaf springs, they are Mickey Thompson Classic 2's. Backspacing is 4 7/16 and offset is -27. http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/wheels.php?item=ClassicII

This link is somewhat helpful with the offset backspacing thing. http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_0602_wheel_backspacing_etiquette/index.html
Thanks!
The website cleared things up.
So if I were to get MT 18x9 with a -13 offset and did some trimming on the bumper I should be ok with 35's..
Gonna do the RSK and 5" leaf spring in the rear adventually just dont have the funds yet. Mabey I should do that before the tires and wheels?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Yes do the rsk and 5" spring packs in the rear first. You need to set your ride height before you can figure out your wheel and tire package. Otherwise you are putting the cart before the horse.

·
krazykustomz
69 Posts
I have a 95 f350 and I'm running 315 Goodyear mtrs it doesn't hit the bumper unless I hit a bad bump I'm gonna do a add a leaf because it has a slight rake which looks in my imo bad

1 - 14 of 14 Posts