Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
SilverBullet06
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06' f250 4x4 and the brakes squeel when I am coming to a stop. My mechanic checked them out and said they were in "like new" condition. Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions? Drives me nuts!!

·
Registered
492 Posts
sounds like dirt or dust got in there, try hosing off your rotors and pads

·
Registered
492 Posts
i would not spray anything on there, brakes are made to slow down, if you spray something on there you are reducing your breaking

·
Back in Black
1,379 Posts
brake kleen would clean them off and probably not hurt stopping, dries quickly

·
Registered
492 Posts
brake kleen works, i would jsut use water though, its free and doesnt matter how much you use

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have the same problem, if i step on the brakes harder the squeel stops. I will try the water trick. It drives me freakin nuts, but i too check and my pads and everything seem good. Is brake clean like brake parts cleaner.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you have time try taking your pads off and buy some CRC Disc Brake Quiet(i think thats what it's called) or an equivalent. It's a short aerosol can with a black top and red labeling. I use it at my shop religiously and we do 5-10 brake jobs weekly.

I would first spray the back side of the pads with brake cleaner, allow the pads to dry, and then put a good three coats of the CRC on the BACK side of the pads(where the caliper comes in contact). Be careful while handling the pads while installing them back into the caliper bracket, they'll be VERY sticky and it's hard to get that stuff off your hands.

It basically adheres the pads to the caliper and we've found it to be very effective to reduce or eliminate squealing. While you're in there take some sand paper or scotch brite and scuff both the pads and the rotors.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the same squeel problem on my truck.... got about 50000 miles on the truck now original brakes still look ok.... You guys with the 06s have you replaced the original brakes and if so at what mileage?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I did my fronts around 50K and now I hve 68K and the rears are making some noise.

·
Registered
536 Posts
not replaced yet, i have 52k and they still look good. Been lifted since 25k too.

·
Diesel Huffer
908 Posts
mine were doing this and one of the clips that holds the brake pad in place and move closer as it wears was missing, threw new pads and clips on there and viola it was gone

·
Registered
878 Posts
You got to love that school bus sound...lolj I had the same prob and they were very loud, So a buddy of mine said he used car quest pads and they cured his. I can say it worked. Over a year now and no squeak....

·
just a welding fool.
1,097 Posts
I'm having a similar issue, only I also have a grinding sometimes when coming to a stop sign.

I can't remembe when, but i'm almost positive i glazed over the pads by getting them too hot. especially for me, at 12K#'s empty, it;s easy to do. I'm sure just the same for guys with lifted trucks and bigger tires.

in a visual check, the pads could be in "like new" condition, but the lining could be completely shot from the heat. I still have 1/2" of meat on the pads, minimum, and they have to be replaced.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Wow it seems to be an issue here with 06 models...It is the pads though guys I replaced mine and had rotors turned at 77K and no probs for the last 10K whatsoever...I was going to go with high end high $$ PADS but fiqured I would try the carquest brand and hell they feel good....

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
are you using pwerslots or oem rotors?
mine squeak everynow and then , funniy thing is this is the first time i ever used the red sticky stuff on the back of the pads....go figure

1 - 20 of 29 Posts