Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
PMS medication required
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to have the windshield replaced in my truck after a rock kissed it. A year later my rear view mirror falls off. Before I take it to the shop that replaced the windshield I want to know what the factory secret is that keeps that mirror attached for so long? I've had this mirror problem on another vehicle where the factory job lasted years but any aftermarket doesn't seem to last very long.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Got my glue from napa, 2 years still going strong I will call you in a couple more.

Did you clean um real good before installing? Assuming your talking about a stock style mirror wid just re gluing

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
The Permatex brand kit isn't a commercial strength glue. Any contamination what so ever will make the repair futile. I always just take a vehicle to a windshield shop and gladly pay them five bucks and a tip to the tech. It will save you that much alone in just the hassle of messing with it.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Got my glue from napa, 2 years still going strong I will call you in a couple more.

Did you clean um real good before installing? Assuming your talking about a stock style mirror wid just re gluing
:whs:

·
Just another OBS addict
1,006 Posts
I had to do this last summer on my '86 Continental. Bought the glue at Napa, and while I'm payin' for it the guy at the counter goes, "just remember that no matter how good of a job you do it'll never last as long as the original. They only last around two years." But, I suppose yours only lasted a year due to excessive sun or something. Just another hassle with older vehicles. Maybe like Speeddemon said a windshield shop will do a better job

·
PMS medication required
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Must have been an incompetent window place since it didn't even last a year. Don't know that it would do any good to take it back there. There has to be a way to do this job as good as the factory.

·
Let'er Buck!
1,685 Posts
Got the same problem on 2 trucks. And I've used the 3m re-glue kit from Wal-Mart on both. Neither lasted more than a few months!!! I'm taking it to the glass shop next time around!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts