Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I took delivery of my 11 F350 I did not realize that I needed to start adding the special fluid every 5 k miles or so ? Do this mean that if I change out the exhaust someday there will be warning lights going off on the dashboard and a voided warranty ?

Sorry for my ignorance I am new to the diesel world and I am trying to figure out what mods would be best .

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
they should have told you about it, yes the 2011 have to have urea for the exhuast.
They are delete kits, programmers ready when you get ready, you could make friends with teh ford dealer to over look aftermarket parts.
Or take them off when you take it in, if you leave it on they can void your warranty just to be an azz.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Guess you are new to diesels, seems you would have done some research before spending 50-60k? But really,,, if you can afford the truck, is another 20.00 every 5-6,000 miles going to break you? They run great without any "Mods" and even though my 7.3L practically blacked out the sun in HI on the chip. I like that my new truck has more power,,,and runs kinda clean compared,,,,, LOL:eek:Wow,, did I say KINDA clean? 8400 miles, and the inside of the chrome tip is still shiny!!!!!!
Shop for the best price on it, I get mine at the local Quick Trip stations here in the midwest. I believe O'Rileys has it for just a buck more a jug... so your looking at 24.00 every 6,000 miles.

·
brandon
778 Posts
Mine uses 2.5 gallons every 3500 miles or so an I went to O'riellys tonight and 2.5 was under 13 dollars. The mpg increase due to the use of urea is by far greater than 13 dollars Imo.

·
Registered
352 Posts
:whs:

It also has a DPF filter that will throw a lot more codes if you tamper the exhaust without a tuner. Don't know if they told you that either.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I don't think it increases MPG,,, just cleans the NOX out of the exhaust,,,,

·
brandon
778 Posts
It decreases the amount of EGR required to obtain the lower NOX levels, which results in better mpgs. But yes, DEF in itself does not improve mileage.
That is what I ment by it

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Well, pardon my ignorance, how would decreasing the amount of Exhaust Gas Recirculation increase fuel mileage much if any?
If it does, I just don't realize how it does it.....:confused:
I also knew that the DEF helped with the NOX emissions by doing something to help what the EGR does, just never equated EGR and fuel mileage together.

·
brandon
778 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I would guess the impact on mileage is minimal though,, isn't it?

·
Banned
191 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong.Doesn't a large part of the better fuel mileage of the 6.7l compared to the 6.4 is the much lower boost.Almost 1/2 the difference?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I thought the main reason was the way it cleans the DPF, and the total redesign of the motor,,,,, LOL

Mainly the DPF filter cleaning though, 6.4s use all 8 cylinders IIRC, where we only use one bank.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Less egr means less soot into the DPF witch means few regens, Less egr also lets the motor run more effiecent as the cylider temps are higher

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Ok, yes, that makes sense too. Less regens definitely means better fuel economy.

·
Registered
352 Posts
EGR is blowing exhaust back into the motor to re-burn any remaining particles further reducing NOx. It is the exact opposite effect of a high flow air filter.

4613, While that does help, reducing EGR helps a ton more. It doesn't matter what PSI your putting into the motor if the air entering is half exhaust gas.

Jim, it cleans the dpf the same basic method as the 6.4. Dump fuel into the exhaust stroke to raise EGTs. not saying they didn't change timing, but same basic concept. Not saying the redesigned motor didn't hurt mileage any.

·
Registered
987 Posts
NOx is produced by high combustion temperatures.

EGR cycles exhaust back into the cylinders to displace oxygen. The inert gases in the exhaust allow for a full cylinder fill with less oxygen.

Less oxygen in the charge results in lower combustion temperatures. This results in both less NOx produced. Along with other things.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Yea, I know it is the same, (nearly) as the 6.4, but I remember reading someplace that the 6.4 used all eight cylinders at once, where the 6.7 used one bank. Half the injectors for each regen, PLUS it does it less....because of the DEF....
That's why the 6.7 get's so much better mileage in stock trim.
I guess I didn't realize that the DEF was that large of an impact, I just figured it was primarily because of only 4 cylinders being used. (They can use 4 vs 8 ALSO,,,,because of the DEF I guess....) Hey, you can learn an old dog new tricks,,,,:D

·
Diesel Therapist
153 Posts
I guess I could just rip off my DPF, CAT, and EGR in my 6.4. Put in a tune and wammo. I get the power, torque, fuel mileage and reliability of any 6.7 for 2K or less. We po' boys gotta do things a little differently to get modern performance.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts