Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 F250 6.0 turbski, 6 speed standard
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My currently has some 750 CCA batteries on it. Neither me, nor the previous owner know how old they are. I'd guess that they're about 6 years old, cause they don't hold a charge as well as I'd expect them to. I've read on some forums that 850 CCAs is better, and some even say 1000 CCAs is best. Winter is coming, so a bigger set of batteries might benefit me. Would going up to a 850 or a 1000 CCA battery hurt the starter or other electronic crap at all? Also, I'm still running the stock alternator. Would going up to a 220 amp alternator hurt anything?

These might seem like dump questions to pros, but I'm anything but a pro. Kind guidance is appreciated!
Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
I've been running Durlast Golds with 850 cca's from Autozone for 9 years now.

Are they the best?????????????

I do yearly maintence on them and just changed out my cables last spring since the clamps were showing their age after 25 years.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,851 Posts
IMO the batteries construction is more important than the CCA's - within reason. And clearly maintenance is crucial (including keeping the alternator working well).

I probably would consider the 850 CCA as the minimum.

I would also not recommend 15W40 oil if you are in temperatures that get down to the mid 20's or lower.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IMO the batteries construction is more important than the CCA's - within reason. And clearly maintenance is crucial (including keeping the alternator working well).

I probably would consider the 850 CCA as the minimum.

I would also not recommend 15W40 oil if you are in temperatures that get down to the mid 20's or lower.
But it won't hurt nothing if I go higher on the CCAs or alternator amps? Say, 1000 CCA battery, and 250 amp alternator?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,851 Posts
What I have experienced is that my batteries didn't seem to last as long when I "went after" the higher cca ratings.

YMMV

I have a high amp alternator, but only because I run a power inverter at the deer lease and when traveling. All you need is about 190A for the average 6.0L. I am not a fan of the 110A alternators. The OEM 140A alternator is good enough when you put a smaller pulley on it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I have experienced is that my batteries didn't seem to last as long when I "went after" the higher cca ratings.

YMMV

I have a high amp alternator, but only because I run a power inverter at the deer lease and when traveling. All you need is about 190A for the average 6.0L. I am not a fan of the 110A alternators. The OEM 140A alternator is good enough when you put a smaller pulley on it.
But it wont over do the batteries or nothing if I go higher on the alt amps?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
There's a regulator on the alternator, if you have too much amps and not using it, it just cycles on/off more, which it what it's meant to do.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
The best thing I ever did for my electrical system was a series of upgrades over time. When done I had changed the batteries to AGM style, swapped out the cables to 2/0 for the battery-to-battery and 4/0 for ground and starter motor, installed aluminum multi-point connection battery terminals, and a high output alternator. I have had zero issues with electrical ever since. In fact, I can literally spin the motor at 256 RPM and it doesn't even sound like the starter is working hard at all. (had a starting issue and the logs showed it spinning that fast). I agree with Bismic that there's no need for a really big alt unless you have the need, and a bigger alt, higher CCA batteries won't hurt a bit. But even the biggest batteries and alternator won't help if your wires are corroded or the connections are dirty. I think the cable upgrade was the biggest improvement for me followed by the AGM batteries.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts