Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at getting into diesels, as this would be my first. Im unaware on what kind of MPG these get? I dont know what Im looking for yet ( in terms of size, model etc ) So just for ####s, what does the 6.0 and 7.3 get stock? And then say a mildly modded 6.0 and 7.3 using stock internals only say a programmer?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Stock truck, stock tires, normal weather, summer fuel.

My 2000 7.3 gets an easy 20 on long trips, and about 15 with short trips. 11-12 towing my Rv trailer.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Well, there are lots of variables.

I had a couple of 7.3's. One was in a bus and the other was in an Excursion with 4WD. The Excursion's best MPG was just shy of 19, hand calculated. The best I did with the bus (E350 dually) was 15MPG towing. Both did regular towing around 10.5 to 12MPG (24ft enclosed auto hauler) in the summer.

MPG drops in the winter with the change in fuel to a winter blend, some warm up time, and so on.

Both had tuners. Neither made any MPG gains that I could come calculate, even though I wanted them to do so. The shift strategies made more sense, however.

I put 203* thermostats in both of my 7.3's, and I generally could recognize 1/2 to just under 1MPG betterment of my MPG.

My current van has 400k with a 6.0. Stock. No towing. Seems like I get right near 19MPG in the summer with around 17MPG in the winter. I do like the 5 speed auto in the van. Would have been neat to have that behind the 7.3's. The 6.0 is quieter. Less mechanical noise from the engine. Someone said that it doesn't have the same amount of injector noise as the 7.3's.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
With my 7.3, 6spd trans and stock tires, I get 18.5 at 72 mph on the highway and 19.5 with my chip set to 80DD. Around town is more like 16mpg.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
My Edge Insight says 18-19 hwy......this is BS. I get avg 14-15 if I'm lucky. That is easy driving, mostly highway and low idle time.

285s 6" lift and a stock engine besides 6637 air filter and a turbo back exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a late 99 dually crew cab, after I got my up pipes fixed I was getting 13-13.5 in town 16-17 hwy (stock tires 4:10 gears) 216,000 miles when I sold it, I just picked up a late 99 sw super cab ( stock tires 3.73 gears) with 78,000 miles and am seeing 12-13 in town and 15.5 hwy... Not sure what's up with the new ride? I put a wicked wheel in both trucks, the only difference is the dually had 4 inch turbo back open exhaust with a poor mans intake filter and the new rig has stock exhaust with stock air box.

Btw all mpg are hand calculated, the over head read outs were off 2mpg on both trucks so don't trust those.

Good luck, these are great trucks, and easy to work on!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
stock you'll get about 57mpgs city

....who cares...you drive a g0damned truck for phucks sake
LOLLOL

I forgot you had a war against MPG questions.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm curious why the OP is looking at a diesel though. If he thinks he's going to save money he's mistaken. Unless you tow a bunch or keep trucks a long time, the diesel will never be a good buy. You'll come out much better off sticking with a gasser.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Sure would't sell mine and there are times that I have got that number.....Okay, I'd sell it but not for those reasons.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have a 6.0 and heavy footed with a good mix I get about 18-20

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
My stock ish 2000 6 speed with hwy tread 285 tires I average 20 mpgs. But I have no roads around me that I drive on with more than a 55mph limit and its ll country roads so not a lot of stop signs or lights.. When I tow it gets around 14. I hand calculate and top off to the brim when I do it so its accurate. As well my speedo is correct for those who doubt me..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts