Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I want to thank the PSN for all my Powerstroke dreams of big power and a tough Superduty but that has all changed now for me. Found out yesterday that I have #3 in the oven and the clock is ticking and I figure I have six months before I have to buy all the baby stuff the wife wants (its her version of a truck and accessories) so I will put in some more overtime I guess..:eek:

So my dilemma is which way to go with my truck completion now and I don't know what to do. I have two complete motors that I was going to make one with, the block needs a bore, line hone, decking, crank is ground, heads are ok but need 910's installed at a minimum, seals gaskets water pump thermostat and every other nickel and dime part including injectors. I have forged rods, a 15* and 17* hpop, and new pistons and some other stuff at my shop that are not shown.

I have thought about not doing the heads, porting, cam, fluid dampener, air dog, IDM mod, and I am sure there is way more I am forgetting but these were on my hit list for the motor. I am not even going to talk about the rest of the truck because I had so many plans and I dont think its realistic to keep the idea that I will do everything before its back on the road, I wasn't going to stop until it was the way I see it in my head before its time to drive.

I found a local guy with a wrecked 02 complete motor with only 56,000 miles on it. I haven't seen it yet but he says it was upside down when it crashed and puked a lot of oil out the air box, and the battery cables were cut, so bring oil, batteries and the cables if I want to start it. He is asking $2000 for the complete motor pan to turbo. I will go see it on Monday.

So do I buy the unknown for cheap, toss it in the truck and get it running stock and build my motor on the side/ or put my 38R and fuel return, some new tunes and wait a bit for the hybrids I was going to buy anyways? I know its most likely a PMR motor so I wouldn't push the limits there.

Or spend the money to finish my machine work, injectors, tunes, and everything else for much more?

Sorry for the rant but I am stressed out here but don't get me wrong as I am happy to be a father one more time but I just need to rearrange my priority's for a little while and the truck is my favorite project right now. Any suggestions is welcome.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
if you got a kid on the way and funds are tight, get #### running as cheap as possible. who gives a #### what kinda hp you make.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
if you got a kid on the way and funds are tight, get #### running as cheap as possible. who gives a #### what kinda hp you make.
Perfectly said. Some things are way more important than a truck.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funds are not too tight, definatly not as bad as some out there, both my wife and I have good jobs so its just a matter of do I do it now for cheaper and less of a build or wait it out and keep plugging.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
If you go to check the other motor unhook the IC pipes before you crank it at all. As oil runs up in the IC and then if you crank it sometimes it will cause it to stick wide open b/c it sucks the oil out of the IC and runs off it. Just a heads up of something that happens when these trucks are rolled.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Take 1/2in ratchet and 15/16 and roll it by hand first see if it tries to hydrolock and if not then unhook the Ic pipes shoud be no way to bend a rod then.

·
<<< Power
3,456 Posts
My wife and I didn't know we could have kids, we got surprised by our boy.

Wouldn't trade him for the world, and I don't begrudge him a thing.

But, what would've taken me 6 months to finish on this truck is gettin close to goin over a year now. I'd say make sure you've got things taken care of for your family, and when you can put some cash aside for your truck.

Makin it a priority just pisses the wife off lol.

·
Registered
288 Posts
also having number 3 on the way, I say go with the PMR engine IF it works right now. Go over it with a fine tooth comb and make sure it wasn't locked and messed up a rod. Down the road, 50k later, you can always sell it complete as you finish your other engine and 2k isn't bad for a 7.3 with 100k.

micky

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys I have been leaning towards the used motor if everything checks out. Is there anything else I should be looking for while I am looking at it? I will take some pics when I go. Then if it checks out, do I put my turbo studs and fuel setup on it or wait for the good motor?

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Looks like you 1/2 the parts for a solid build I saw no mention of rods injectors or what kind o tranny you have. But if you have two blocks I will assume one is cracked.and your strippin that one. Id finish it either way..one you drop it in the truck..forged rods and roll or 2 sell it and get your cash back.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have forged rods from the motor out of the truck, it lost a cylinder and has some taper on the walls and might not clean up at .030" which is the size of my new mahle's. The other one was a trade for an IDM I had laying around and is a good candidate. I have a valve body in the trans but no idea which brand and the converter has been replaced but again not sure what brand. I was going to go for hybrids, my injectors are probably toast stockers that are only good for cores.

Whats taking off the IC boots going to do for turning over the motor by hand?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Doesnt matter when your rolling it by hand just see if it tries to lock up when rolling it by hand to see if it has alot of oil on top the pistons if you can roll it over several times by had then pull IC boots when you go to crank it if there is oil in the IC it doesnt stick wide open on you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts