Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Custom Tunes, and im still running my stock intercooler with a rebuilt van turbo and a WW.. the van turbo had 180k on it when i got it.. still no problems with mine.. my egts run around 600 at 75mph with my 80 hp tune.. defin custom tunes though. i started with the edge and then went to custom tunes.. nite and day difference....

·
Science rulz
1,424 Posts
I have to go up some pretty steep grades in lockup or something to get those temps, I can get about 1200ish at wot going up the 3-4% incline just as I exit onto the "main road" where I live. That incline is about a mile long.

I've got an Edge Evo, for now..

Running stock dimension wheels, 235/85/16R

Heck I can even tow pretty easily in the "Extreme" setting on my edge without struggling too much with EGT's, surges a bit but I'm still scrounging for a 38r to fix that, anyway I think it sounds cool LOL

·
Wheres the Spark Plugs?
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You certainly want to buy another Turbo and another Intercooler because as we all know adding more performance parts typically fixes problems and makes vehicles more reliable...sorry to be a D!CK :poke:
I'm sorry your a dick too!!! Why even waste the time commenting when you offer absolutely no help whatsoever?

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
People can tend to get that way around here. Dieselnoob, if it were me, i would take the program out (run it stock) and work on finding your issue with it stock. Check your uppipes for leaks, build a leak detector and check for boost leaks. I would also look into a wicked wheel to help with the turbo surge and see what kind of boost you can make (while running stock programming) and what your EGT's get to. The wicked wheel should help get rid of the surge in the turbo.

·
Oordski
40 Posts
:whs: and I would ditch the Edge...plenty of options out there without a lot of gauges. Jody at DP Tuner and Joey at Terminator can accomidate your gauge needs. These are the people that I have worked with and I am sure there are more out there with great results.

·
Registered
545 Posts
check the vband clamp that connects the up-pipes to the turbo, make sure it's tight and try and make or buy a boost leak detector.

How smokey is the truck?

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
I would have to agree with the guys, you have a boost leak somewhere. Another place to check is the intake plenums, they can be bent from over tightening the boots and its not uncommon to get a leak there. Theres a fella named Clay at Riffraff Diesel, here's the link, Riffraff Diesel: RDP Plenum Reinforcing Inserts nice idea he came up with if thats your problem. His boot kit is the chit too, very sturdy compound. Good luck..

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
the thing is this is a brand new system that nate sold him iirc. So replacing it is not an option .the gauges do look nice , however tunning is not as agressive as some tuners. the only one that i can think of that tunes edges and that was only a few models was php.

I would also check around the doughnuts, they are some kind of strange crappy material, there are replacements from beans or some kind of carquest part..not sure on those as i have an early 99

·
Wheres the Spark Plugs?
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks for all of he help guys, I really do appreciate it. It's been raining non stop since I made it home and the truck kinda won't fit in my garage. I hope to be ableto take a look at all these things this weekend. One of the local diesel shops swears it is going to be the donut gaskets in the up pipes to the turbo. I'm hoping it turns out to be a boost leak or exhaust leak causing it. I will still have the turbo surge issue to sort out but that's a lot less expensive.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
That is a normal leak point but in no way is that a sure thing. Even if they do find it leaking it may not be the only spot. Many of them leak a very small amount. Make sure you check the other spots first especially if there is not soot on the firewall back there. The up pipes is the most labor intensive compared to any of the hoses / tubes. If you are paying to have it done its something to keep in mind. Lets just say as a general rule I don't trust mech shops unless I personally know them especially stealerships. They have this amazing ability to look at the most expensive and profitable possibilities first :mad:

·
Wheres the Spark Plugs?
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
We looked over everything tonight and found no evidence of exhaust leaks or any indicators of even a slight boost leak. I'm at a loss now.

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
Did you climb under the truck with a flashlight and look up at those up-pipe connections from underneath?? I've seen some exhaust leak marks before on the pipe coming from the collectors where the up-pipe goes into the Babies butt, just a thought if you haven't been under the truck.

·
Powerstroke Addict
260 Posts
Get rid of Edge its nothing but problems. Throw some custom tunes on it and if you have the money an intercooler and turbo would be great. A Garrett 38r is a good small upgrade from your stock turbo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Get some bigger exhaust this will help also. I have an 02 F250 and i run 5 in to 6in dual stacks out the bed and its really helped my egts

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
You checked the exhaust and it checked out form what you can tell but earlier when you stated you checked all the boots from the turbo to the and from the intercooler did you actually pull them off and check? One could have a split that runs where you can not see it by a simply visual check while in place. You need to pull each one and clean it up and then check it while in hand. Next thing would then be to pressure check your intercooler itself. Its always very possible a rock or some other way caused a leak in it or a tank cracked.

·
Buffalo Diesel
280 Posts
I'd like to add that my stock truck never surged or had crazy EGTs and it sits just like yours... leads me to believe the tune could be a problem, but that it is probably a mechanical problem with a leak of some sort.

I know that I didn't get any surging or other problems after adding a tuner either... with Jody's tunes.

For those of you saying to throw a WW on it, why? Are people with the same exact engine and turbo (hardware) as me experiencing surging and the WW is curing it? I'm curious, because I've never experienced it in this truck.

·
Oordski
40 Posts
By putting on a 1.0 housing and/or a wicked wheel will take care of surging under high boost. Good tunes also can take care of surging. If you want to keep the edge upgrade the turbo to take care of surging.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts