Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda like this.

According to wind tunnel tests, this guy has reduced aero drag by about 45% versus an unmodified pick. His "coefficient of drag" is about the same as a Toyota Prius.

He gets a long term 34 MPG with a lousy overgeared gas engine and an automatic. He drives the way you expect a Texan to drive - fast. What would he get with a properly geared diesel and a stick shift?

Yup. It is impractical. Extreme performance vehicles always are. But if you nibble this thing around the edges a bit...

·
Registered
205 Posts
So, Dave, has that given you any new ideas or inspiration to try something over?

·
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I can get my ducks in a row, I'm gonna try to take this up a notch with abed tapered in the plan view as well as the elevation view.

My truck has a short bed so I will maintain a 49"x80" cargo dimension but the "dead cat space" behind the wheel wells will be eliminated in the taper.

Rather than a solid plastic "fastback" I plan to use multiple spoilers to approximate the solid fastback seen here and maintain a better view to the rear. Ever see the rear window on a Lamborghini?

I've also been looking at smaller diameter tires (225-75x16) to improve MPG in city driving. 225-75s weigh a third less than 235-85s. This will pay dividend every time I pull away from a light.

Unfortunately the smaller wheels (which confer an additional aerodynamic opportunity as well) will make the truck rev up about 125 RPM at highway speeds.

Maybe if I can swap in a Tremec 6060 (0.5:1 overdrive) I could reduce the road RPM. My ZF6-650/GV combo offers 0.62:1 overdrive. That would more than compensate for the smaller tires.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Im thinking mid 40's possibly 50 mpg with that setup and I am low balling...

·
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I told him that with the diesel of of a M-B Sprinter Van and a six-speed his gearing is probably close to optimum and 42 MPG should be doable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts