Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking bout chipping my truck and maybe getting stage 1`s. Will my stock clutch hold up to it?? I won`t be racing sled pulling or anything like that, just pulling trailers. I was also thinkng bout getting the d66 turbo will it hold up to that also? Thanks in advance for answers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mine lasted about an hour on new stage 1s with tow tune

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mine didn't even last with a 1k resistor and a EBPV switch doing boosted launches lol

·
<--before leveler & block
852 Posts
I think it depends on how many miles are on it. My buddy has about 500 miles on his stage 2's in his 96 and the clutch isn't slipping at all. Its the stock clutch also. The throw out bearing is going bad but that was a problem even before the injectors. Just to give an idea of how well his truck runs, he can break the tires loose in 4th on the concrete road through town with his dp tuner on 120r! Im sure the clutch doesn't have much life left in it though.

·
852 Posts
what is valair or southbend or another type of clutch best for the obs? or is either one good?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe i won`t do a stage 1`s then. I bought a parts truck with new clutch that i am going to put in my truck(supposedly around 10,000 miles). Maybe i will just chip it and recondition my injectors. What about the AD`s or would that be pretty much the same as stage 1`s? Like i said i won`t be doing burn outs boost launches o sled pulling, just hauling trailers so i need it to be reliable. Thanks for the replies.

·
852 Posts
I would do stage 1's if u are going to do anything with injectors and dont want to much stress on the clutch. Stage 1's can be detuned extremely easy since they retain the stock nozzle size.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i just want more pulling power withour having to put an intercooler on and having to buy a clutch. Once the clutch out of the parts truck goes out then yeah i would order a better clutch. I just don`t want to make the clutch go out prematurely.

What do you guys think of a chip and the d66 for a pulling setup?? Or is the d66 worthless without bigger injectors?

·
852 Posts
I dont even think a d66 is necessary for stage 1's. Im not positive on that though

·
Registered
142 Posts
I use my truck for pulling also. Depends on your towing but even before the injectors I could get egts pretty high.
As someone mentioned before my problem was the crappy dual mass flywheel, not the clutch. I consider this a reliability isssue. Do a search and see if your trucks have the dual mass.
Stage 1s are just a little bigger than SD injectors so I dont think they decrease reliability much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts